Forum

Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail strike out Iran

Manoj Nahar [PersonRank 4]

Thursday, November 8, 2007
16 years ago3,351 views

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/07/yahoo_google_microsft_iran/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Yahoo! and Microsoft have removed Iran from the country lists of their webmail services as stronger US sanctions against the Islamic republic begin to bite.>>

So what? That's just a small setting in your account. You could choose France, US or Japan. The question is if you can still create / access an account in Iran and the answer seems to be "yes".

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

IMHO, that's exactly the kind of measure that will create frustration and won't make things move. Who uses email ? NGOs, political opponents do as well.
Email is a way to convey information. If the United States of America wish to promote democracy and freedom, that's not by putting restriction on access to communication that they will be able to achieve those means.

Just have a look at what many regimes do to control the Internet over the world.
This will not prevent Iranians from creating an account, but will fuel the arguments of the nationalists against the moderate.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

But, Iran is still a country, right?

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google still lists it as a country, so I guess it is ;-)

That's reminding me of the Copiepresse issue. What if Google decided something shouldn't exist anymore ?

But I'm being paranoid there...

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I hate the way US bothers little countries like Iran or Cuba, just because they are strategically important. Damn, if you want that piece of land, at least be sincere! They want Iran because of the petroleum. And they make the citzens think it's because they are evil. ......

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yay, Ignorant citzens.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

^pyratbyran?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!