Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube now in German  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 8, 2007
15 years ago3,990 views

YouTube is now available in German. http://www.googlewatchblog.de/2007/11/08/youtube-in-deutschland-gestartet/

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

The "Promotete Videos" part just sounds strange, but "Benutzerdefinierten Player erstellen" is okay, Player is an accepted word in the German language, mostly because the translation "Videowiedergabeger├Ąt" is just way to long to fit onto a button or into a nice and tidy site layout :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I guess you could just say "Abspieler" instead of "player", but since the German language at large stopped looking for localized words of internet stuff (hence there is not much of a tradition for words like "Abspieler" or something), I guess the easiest thing is to just hop to the English version, and then at least get something that reads fluently....

AL7AIR [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

"I guess the easiest thing is to just hop to the English version, and then at least get something that reads fluently...."

Exactly! And I couldn't think of any page labeling their players "Abspieler" right now. I'm German and I honestly can't remember the last time I used "Abspieler" in a conversation, even "offline" we refer to it as player most of the time e.g. DVD Player not DVD Abspieler ... that just sounds weird.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> And I couldn't think of any page labeling their
> players "Abspieler" right now.

Oh, that's easy... just go to http://Sketchcast.com and switch to the German version, and read the homepage. Disclosure: it was me who translated sketchcast.com into German, so that example is biased :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!