Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Using Google Webmaster Tools with Go Daddy  (View post)

chipseo [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, November 15, 2007
16 years ago5,745 views

That's great, thanks for posting about it, I hadn't even noticed it yet. It is kind of interesting that it sets up a unique google account with each domain. I have used webmaster tools for a while so I have several within the same console under my main gmail login.

At least it is accessible within the hosting account info and from what I can tell it doesn't log you out of your existing gmail / google account? Scott

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

1&1 has an option for Webmaster Tools – any idea if this will do the same thing on there?

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

what are they planning to offer?
an API based interface to all the data you can anyway see in webmaster tool, or just a link to a help page on how to setup one of your own

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> what are they planning to offer?

It's already active. The screenshots are what I took from my account. So, it's a partial API based interface – in that you can see which domains have been added and verified from within your Go Daddy account – but to view any more details, you have to go to the Google Webmaster Tools interface which you're automatically signed into and isn't anything to do with your existing Google Account.

Peeyush [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Currently there is no way for us to tell from your GoDaddy account/domain what your Google Account is, so those get naturally separated.

That said, if all your domains are hosted by GoDaddy (or any future hoster who might get this capability), you will automatically see new domains appear in their associated Webmaster Central account.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

(Peeyush, I assume you work at Go Daddy? If so, thanks for reading and commenting...)

I realise there's *currently* no way for Go Daddy to tell what my Google Account is – but until this was implemented, there was no way for Go Daddy to provide Google Webmaster Tools through SAML/SSO either.

I guess I'm left wondering why Google decided to implement it like this rather than just offering a Google Webmaster Tools Data API which could have allowed users to authorize Go Daddy (and other websites) to read/write to their standard Google Webmaster Tools account using a Google Account SAML request rather than a Google Apps one – in a similar way to how Flickr can interact with Blogger without the need for the user to hand over their password to Flickr...

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Peeyush works for Google with the webmaster tools team :-) [do you have any more "G" icons left?]

In effect, GoDaddy can't ask Google what your Google account is, nor can Google check – through GoDaddy – what your "normal" Google account is. I'm sure there are good reasons for this, and you can be certain that the team is not going to stop working on improvements and additional, cool features.

It's great to hear your feedback on things like this, we're always open for suggestions!

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Good to see another small "G" Icon
thanks for comments Peeyush

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!