Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Points in gmail adresses

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 15, 2007
16 years ago6,222 views

Dunno how well known this feature is: if you have abc[put at-character here]gmail.com, both a.bc[put at-character here]gmail.com or a.b.c[put at-character here]gmail will be sent to abc[put at-character here]gmail.com.

Found on http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1-awesome-gmail-tip-you-dont-know-about-seriously/
   (The article states both the abc+def[put at-character here]gmail.com feature and this one.)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Was popular on Digg 1 year 111 days ago.
http://digg.com/tech_news/Gmail_Add_and_Remove_Dots_for_Email_Address_Variations

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

A doubt:
   Suppose that I have an email address blogoscoped[put at-character here]gmail.com.
   Is it possible for some one to regsiter blogoscoped.x[put at-character here]gmail.com ? I tried the signup form name availability and it shows as available!!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

you can registrer that, but you also get: b.l.o.g.o.s.c.o.p.e.d.x[put at-character here]gmail.com b.logogscopedx[put at-character here]gmail.xom.com blogoscopedx[put at-character here]gmail.com etc...

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Thanks James, then how I can expect that the above hack (David Mulder) would work correctly?
Confused.
Being the owner of blogoscoped[put at-character here]gmail.com, I might give blogoscoped.something[put at-character here]gmail.com to avoid , say SPAM, and who will get the mail? What happens if some else has already registered blogoscoped.something[put at-character here]gmail.com? Who will get the mail?
Hope my question is clear.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

mukthar: The span avoidance technique uses a '+' sign not a '.' symbol. So you'd use blogoscoped+something[put at-character here]gmail.com to avoid spam.

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Thanks Reto Meier.
May be I got it wrong then.
I thought I could append any string after my actual id after appending a '.'
Now I undersand that is not the case.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A side note, Live Hotmail treats blogoscoped[put at-character here]live.com and b.logoscoped[put at-character here]live.com as different addresses ... which is very confusing.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Keith
Thats a normal way all the mail servers behave
any change in spelling will point to another mailbox

Here Google is doing things differently by ignoring dots

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!