Are you feeling lucky? Google is

Luca [PersonRank 10]

Friday, November 23, 2007
16 years ago3,198 views

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/11/19/face_of_google/

interview about the "i'm feeling lucky " button... not so lucky

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I never thought about how much money they lose by having it – by encouraging people to skip the SERPs with ads. Interesting

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Oh, come on. That's stupid. They don't lose so much money because Feeling Lucky is used only when you know where you want to go (navigation queries: BMW, Museum of Modern Art, Yahoo etc.), so you wouldn't click on ads. Maybe they lose some money, but that number is obviously inaccurate.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ionut – I beg to differ.

When I Google something like BMW and get the SERP and on top is the BMW add – I click it – kind of as a thanks to Google. And it's not click fraud 'cuz that's where I want to go to.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, but if I use Feeling Lucky I want to go to the top result, so the ad can't distract me.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They should beef up I'm Feeling Lucky by making it a sort of Command Line for Google Apps. Example:

gmail compose sergey.brin[put at-character here]gmail.com

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"...Well do ya punk?" ................ Sorry :)

Well I always use the search button or use the Firefox search box but never click on ads (Except if it's a company I hate and want them to pay Google, but I only click once and I actually want to go there)

So to me the IFL button id useless but it doesn't loose Google any money because they wouldn't get any from me.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

IMHO, Ionut is right. I'm not even sure that Google *really* lose money because of that.
I said nearly the same thing on Amit Agarwal's blog this week.
http://www.labnol.org/internet/search/google-homepage-expensive-feeling-lucky-button/1827/#comment-11349

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!