Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 28, 2007
11 years ago2,054 views

Interesting overview of marketing techniques, magic tricks and more:

chemistryland.com/CHM107/Intro ...

[Via Reddit.com]

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

11 years ago #

Nice page .. I disagree with the air part as they price according to 'weight' not 'volume'. Air doesn't weigh much so they have to have more ingredients.

Or did I get it wrong?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

11 years ago #

Keith, weight and volume can theoretically be used interchangeably – the rate in the article is something like 350 liters of air to make 1 pound. The price is converted to the "price per pound", since that is more commonly seen when you're dealing with other products.

Personally, I would look at it the other way around – by including more air in a product, the vendor is reducing cost by a measurable amount. This amount wouldn't be as astronomical as is shown in the article – by reducing the amount of ice cream in a container by 50%, costs are reduced by a whole lot less than 50% (there are costs for the packaging, for marketing, for transport, vendor mark-up, and so on).

Overall, it makes sense that the author would use some of the "power of suggestion" techniques in the article about "power of suggestion"!

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!