Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Adds Collaboration, KML Import  (View post)

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 28, 2007
16 years ago11,355 views

Does the KML import meant that I could have an excel sheet of Names and addresses and I'll import them into Maps and it will plot them all?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm. I think there might need to be a layer somewhere in-between to convert the Excel data. Google Spreadsheets seems to have export options to e.g. Atom/ XML but not KML. But perhaps one could write a script that takes the Atom and then looks up addresses, and outputs KML for Google Maps...

16 years ago #

Well if that could be done, that would be awesome because there have been many times in work I've had many addresses that I needed plotted but don't have any easy way to do that.

Anyone?.......

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You can do that pretty easily with Yahoo Pipes.

1) Import your Excel data into Google Spreadsheets.
2) Publish that spreadsheet as CSV
3) Create a Yahoo pipe, add a CSV input, then geocode the address using the Google Geocoder (Check out my blog on the Google Mashup Editor with Yahoo pipes to see how to do that).
4) Output your pipe as KML
5) Paste the address for the pipe into Google Maps.

Presto-chango – you're done! Adding new entries to the spreadsheet should automatically get updated too.

16 years ago #

Nice! thanks a ton. Never used Yahoo! pipes before as I am a Google freak, but I'll give it a try. Could you send me a link to your blog post. If you don't want to put it here you could send it to aefreedy @ gmail.

andy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Is there a way to import my Gmail contact addresses as KML? That would be neat.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

No problem AEF, there's some instructions for using Pipes to geocode information here:
http://blog.radioactiveyak.com/2007/07/fuel-price-mashup-web-development-goes.html

Trevor [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Has anyone else had trouble importing a kml/kmz? I have one made via GE that refuses to import (it's not big). In Maps it says "We could not finish uploading your file. No changes have been made to your map." Try Again or Cancel.

I"ve tried importing to an existing map, creating a new one, making them public or private and it does the same thing (from work and home for different importing files).

Joe [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Me too, Trevor. I've even tried eliminating elements to see if specific parts of the KML are not allowing the import. No luck. I'm also having problem getting any embedded videos to show or play in GE. So I'm thinking firewall? But then, even turning everything off, I can't import KML or play the video. So, I too am lost.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think the import feature is still buggy. I've found that uploading your kml/kmz to a web address (such as Google Pages) and importing from the URL works. But uploading from my computer hasn't worked once. See if that works for you for now.

Trevor [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Yep that worked...thanks Jared.

Matthias Peter [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Importing of kml/kmz is not working for GroundOverlays where gif, jpg etc image files are referenced ... the same image file shows in the map when referencing to it in the search box ... but as said not as an import...
when will this be fixed ?
regards Matthias

Rusty Scalf [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I am trying to import a kml file which consists of eleven lines.

The local upload does not work at all.

When I bring it in from my web space, 10 of 11 import. I've repeated this several times. I've gone back and recreated the kml file again from the ESRI shapefile. Same problem. When I import into Google Earth, it looks just fine.

Why is Google Maps rejecting that one vector?

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Shouldn't it work without Yahoo pipes in the above example?
Geocode a spreadsheet list of addresses, then map it to kml? But it seems that you first have to register to use the Google Maps API to geocode?

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/services.html#Geocoding_Direct
http://googlemapsapi.blogspot.com/2007/09/enhanced-map-tiles-for-50-countries.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!