Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Prediction From 1900  (View post)

Luka [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 29, 2007
16 years ago8,252 views

And ask yourself : "What will happen in 100 years ?"

Pretty difficult to imagine when you remember what already happened!

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Do they have one for the year 2000?

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow...

Chris [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's great to see predictions that are actually right for a change.

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Let me start....
Travel from German to US only 30 minuites. Meaning that you could stay in German work in US.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Oh, I know what will happen by the year 2100, (or at least I hope it does). People will learn to control the energy from atoms, thus delivering free energy for all cars!! And making a flight to space – dust cheap:)

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Heh I tough "Ladies' journals" are dumbest thing on the world.

Johann [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I'm 43. I remember in my grade two class (In California) that our teacher showed one of those black and white science films. In it, they were talking about all the things that would be part of everyone's lives in the year 2000. One of them was a "Flying Car".

I WANT MY FLYING CAR, DAMMIT!

Kalena Jordan [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Great stuff! Blogged at http://blog.sitepronews.com/index.php?/archives/316-Internet-Predicted-in-1900.html and original has been Sphunn

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When you make 50 predictions about the next 100 years, one of them is bound to be close to true...notice some of the other predictions: "telephones around the world", underground heating for farms, bank tubes for groceries :)

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was actually surprised – lots of these are closer to reality than the expectations of the 1950s. There are a few that are way off, some because unhealthy and socially insecure citizens are better suited to supporting a capitalist society...

David T [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Niraj Sanghvi you're right! Make loads of predictions and one of them is gonna be true! LOL!

olivier [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Make loads of prediction, get them consigned by a lawyer, and then publish them when it happens!
everybody can be a medium!

MarWi [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Interesting article. I have a feeling that today we are only predicting future problems and doomsday scenarios, completely lacking the view for future opportunities and technological possibilities. Maybe, this is more pronounced in Europe than in the USA (or all the emerging countries around the world).

In defiance of the above:

2100: Fusion Power and of course The Flying Car

Armand Asante [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have to call fake.
The Wireless Phone thing just seems wrong somehow.

Somehow I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to mentally do away with the wires 100 years ago.

Secondly, actually referring to them as "wireless phones"- like it's a common day word – instead of having to explain to the reader that phones will have no cords in the future, is just extremely fishy to me.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Let me guess... the Internet + webcams + chatting facilities? Is that what they wanted?

biostuart [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

That seemed more dead on than predictions from the '50s. He missed the computer though.

[put at-character here]Armand: I took "wireless" to mean like "radio" which started off being called "wireless telegraphy". Wireless was certainly a term being used at the turn at the century though I can't say how common. See "History of radio" at wikipedia.

Oh and I always figured that reason we didn't get The Flying Car was because we chose The Internet instead. Who needs a flying cars when you can send an email.

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In 2010:
1) You will still be alive :D
2) There will be robots as smart as u

Matt Ellsworth [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very cool!

Brett [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Anyone know who wrote this article?

Future Converged [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

For some reason people tend to remember the bad predictions more than the good ones. I guess that's because we don't like to be deceived into thinking something will happen in the future, only to realise that it will not. On the other hand, if someone makes a prediction that turned out to be correct, we tend to tone it down and think, well of course it was obvious to predict this.

Prediction is more like an art though science can also help a lot. If you look at trends closely today you may be able to see tomorrow. A quote from William Gibson describes this best: "Future is here, it is just not evenly distributed". I just love this. You just have to look around, ask the right questions, put a few unrelated fields together and draw some basic conclusions. Then you can guess what sort of things are going to happen. It doesn't matter if you get some of them wrong, so long as you get the gist of it and that's what usually matters most.

Jules Verne and Asimov predicted so many trends and technologies that turned out to be true, so also it requires the likes of them to do it, future can be predicted as it has been in the past.

Johann [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

biostuart:

I commute in Southern California traffic... so I *need* a flying car. However, I have to ammend the request: Flying cars only for competent drivers such as myself (I say this in all humility). I see hundreds of people daily that cannot operate a vehicle in the two planes (forward/backward & right/left) of direction they attempt to deal with presently. If you gave them another plane (up/down), all Hell would surely break loose.

Perhaps that's why the flying car was shelved.

Jeb [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Interesting is the one about 'no wild animals'. In the 1900's the futuristic/modernistic movement started to grow(which fascism was a part of) and many people thought that everything will be replaced by machines and wars would be quickly won by modern technique. The author could, of course, have never predicted WW 1 & 2, after which the movement ceased to exist.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!