Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Gmail crashes latest Firefox (2.0.0.11)

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

Saturday, December 8, 2007
16 years ago6,645 views

Anyone else having problems? There are a few scattered, recent posts at the Groups help forum, but I figured I'd ask here as well.

It seems to happen only when I am closing a Gmail tab and also trying to interact with the browser at the same time. It seems to be reproducible every time.

I like the new features in Gmail, but is the reduced stability worth it? Not to me, so count another enthusiast lost to the "Revert to the older version until the bugs have been worked out" train. That's cool, though. I'm pretty understanding, and I'm glad Google is still offering the old interface.

bob rettman [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Bill; Every since I received the Firefox upgrade I cannot open my gmail account with my Firefox browser, but yet I can open it through explorer which I really hate using. I am not a real tech savvy guy so at this point I am just waiting with my ear to the ground. Imdevisor[put at-character here]gmail.com

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Works fine for me..

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

As with David, I've had no problems

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The new version of Gmail crashes my Firefox if I have Firebug enabled. Without Firebug it works OK.

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger

I have had similar problems and of course have disabled Firebug. However, on at least two computers I've been using in the past week, Gmail has been causing Firefox to crash. Since I switched to the older UI yesterday, I haven't had any issues. Like Bob Rettman above suggests, I'll just keep my ear to the ground (or the support forums, as it were).

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Do you have informed Mozilla community via browser's Report Broken Web Site... feature (from 'Help' menu)?

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I dont have this problem. but it gives me this warning

"FireBug is causing the problem.Do you want to fix it"

Julie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i have been having problems when i try to search my gmail messages. crashes firefox almost every time. it is getting really annoying. Also seems to do it sometimes when I'm sending an email.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Besides FireBug being an issue, have you heard of other extensions causing havoc with Gmail? I don't have a problem with the new Gmail and the latest version of Firefox for Mac.

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Juha-Matti Laurio: Do you have informed Mozilla community via browser's Report Broken Web Site... feature (from 'Help' menu)?

I hadn't up until I read your suggestion. (I wasn't aware of the option to do this in FF.)

As for other extensions, yes, there could definitely be conflicts, but I don't think this is the case (at least for me). I have created a profile in FF with no extensions installed except Firebug, which I have disabled for Gmail, and still the browser would crash.

As I mentioned, though, I've switched to the old UI for the time-being. I'm ready to let Gmail be SEP for a while.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!