Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why do you think Google is bidding on the 700mhz spectrum?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 11, 2007
16 years ago3,010 views

I haven't seen any ponderings around, as much as it has been popularised, so i was wondering what you think it's for, and why they are doing it?

My theory is that because the 700mhz spectrum penetrates walls easily, and is nationwide, google are building that long-rumoured ISP.

They want it to be "Open to all devices", well if you were an ISP, you'd want that aswell, right?

So is it an ISP? Is the real reason blatently obious and am I stupid?

Please let me know because I feel stupid and confused...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They will build a nation-wide wireless network so that I can access Blogoscoped.com from anywhere I want. :P

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I can't think about this bid without thinking about Android.
First now computer, next your phone. Finally, the world! muahaha.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They're just bidding to ensure a certain price is reached so that the winner will have to open its network to make place for Android Phones (hence more revenue generated by Ads)

Jeff Tarman [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Well, I work for Clearwire Wireless Broadband and I wish that my company would have bid on the 700Mhz spectrum – it would have been FANTASTIC for the company, but Google has deeper pockets. Do some research and you'll find this:

"The 700 MHz auction attracts so much attention because the physical characteristics of the “broadcast bands” make it the Holy Grail of wireless. Radio waves in this band travel farther, penetrate physical objects better, and bend around obstructions better than in any other band likely to become available in the foreseeable future. As a result, it becomes economically, as well as technically, possible to do really high speed wireless broadband access with licenses comprising fewer frequency bands. It takes many fewer cell sites to cover an area, and it becomes easier in urban areas to deal with the “concrete arryos” and other topography issues that make cell phone service difficult."

It truly is the best spectrum out there.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Does that means they would just "own" it in the US? (And just as long as the regulations won't change ... e.g. as long as the government keeps up the rights for this "property" as decided by the auction?)

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What Google would 'own' is a license from the US FCC (Federal Communications Commision) that lets them legally broadcast on that particular frequency.

They'll own it in the same way that TV stations owned it before now – for TV it meant that only one particular television station was allowed to broadcast on any given frequency. The key being that it would be illegal for anyone else to use the frequency for transmission.

It only applies to the US, but most other countries are also switching their television to digital so we'll see the same sort of thing happening around the world

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Was linked from the Digg homepage just now:

"What to Expect From Google and the 700-MHz Spectrum Auction"
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140550-pg,1/article.html

16 years ago #

thanks^^

16 years ago #

Just noticed on engadget that google are applying as Google Airwaves Inc.

Anything strange about this?

Has a nice ring to it for a service IMO

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The FCC released a list of companies that will participate in the auction.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-07-5030A2.pdf

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!