Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogoscoped Considered Blogspam at Mixx

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, December 11, 2007
16 years ago3,535 views

Some users at Mixx attempt to build a new anti-SEO bury brigade at the new social news site Mixx which challenges Digg. while at it they even consider Google Blogoscoped to be "blogspam".
http://www.mixx.com/stories/28074/google-releases-chart-image-generator
I love Mixx but I'm afraid that the same people that messed up Digg also damage this new community.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I kind of see their point.

The problem is that there are 1000s of blogs all reporting that Google released their Chart API. If everyone linked to their favourite blog that mentioned the release, you could potentially end up with 1000s of links essentially for the same thing. It would be better if services like these had a "direct link" field and a "via" field. Or perhaps there should be a way to suggest the direct link, and that gets used instead if enough people suggest it (although still showing the original link as a "via").

On a related note, there's nothing more frustrating than writing a "breaking news" article on your blog only to find that another blog got all the diggs just because the right person submitted it or because the other blog is more popular. Again, in this case, the original source should be linked to.

16 years ago #

Right Tony, but if you take a look at the Google Chart API site you will have barely a clue what it is about. So I was really glad to have an explanation and a short summary with examples. Social media aggregators are not there to flood you with more information to sift through, they should help you find the best one quickly.
Phillip has done an excellent job with this one I thus submitted the post instead of the rather difficult to grasp original.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe the solution would be to allow these Digg/ Mixxt-style sites to submit two links? Similar to what Tony suggest. Maybe one link would be the source, and the other link would be the commentary.

This could be both an incentive for bloggers to submit the source, which might lower the level of "blogspam" which the Mixxters seem to object to (though they fail to correctly identify what is blogspam, as I can see from their homepage which has many second-hand sources being popular!), as well as a way for Mixxt readers to look at the non-source criticism/ introduction page, the reason why you Tadeusz liked the page in this case for instance.

For instance, you won't get truthful objective criticism of the Google Chart API on the Google Chart API homepage... because they are necessarily biased! But what if, say, there would be an objection to the API which one might want to read about (say, "I tried it, and it was broken every 3rd time")? Then the second-hand source could come in very handy...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's why it would be nice to submit/rate a Google News cluster. Google News has a lot of potential and it could be expanded with popular stories from blogs via feed readers like Google Reader.

16 years ago #

Great ideas, I think I'll either submit it to Mixx or send them as a feature request.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!