Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Auto-complete Ignoring Domains

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, December 14, 2007
16 years ago3,294 views

Isn't it weird that Gmail will not auto-complete an address if you only type the domain part? E.g. I have dozens of email addresses like this:

feedback[put at-character here]example.com
feedback[put at-character here]friendfeed.com
feedback[put at-character here]foobar.com

... etc. When I want to write to say FriendFeed, naturally I will enter "friendfeed" in the recipient field and not "feedback[put at-character here]" (though I am forced to do the latter, as the former won't work).

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If it did what you are suggesting, how would it handle things like @yahoo.com, @gmail.com, @hotmail.com etc? Those webmail services have millions of users and if you had a couple hundred email addresses of friends in your address book that use those webmail services, how would you want it to auto-complete that for you?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Easy: sorted by how often you communicate (that's how Gmail sorts addresses).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Colin, I was not trying to suggest that Gmail should stop using the name before the @ for auto-completion. However, if nothing before the @ returns a hit, they may as well start offering me a "full text search" result for the auto-completion. I only have a single email address containing the word "friendfeed" for instance – it makes perfect sense to return feedback[put at-character here]friendfeed.com to me when I enter "friendf.." instead of returning nothing at all.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!