Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Vint Cerf Interviewed  (View post)

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

Monday, December 17, 2007
16 years ago5,909 views

Don't forget the video that was made at the public presentation in Zürich (probably during the same visit here as the interview was made):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0rjtnwC9A

It's long, but Vint has some interesting things to share :)

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My questions to Eric:

It seems as if google does not allow other people/companies to crawl content at google.com owned sites. The sole reason why Google did succeed was an environment that allowed crawling of other people's web sites. Do you consider Google to be a parasite in this environment and if now, where can an interested person crawl google groups, google news, google book search, google pages (where's your sitemaps file?) google code and so on? Do you think that google.com/robots.txt truthfully represents Google's approach on openness and quality-driven competition? Why doesn't google disclose the contract with the libraries regarding the mass digitalization of books, such as the Bavarian State Library?

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mathias:
I don't see the problem with robots.txt. There is no reason one search engine should be crawled by another one – it would eventually lead to an infinite loop if all search engines would allow that.

Sitemap file is an *optional* extention, not obligatory.

I only partially agree with the library contracts question, though I suspect it's not much different than those:
http://www.lib.umich.edu/mdp/umgooglecooperativeagreement.html
http://www.cdlib.org/news/ucgoogle_cooperative_agreement.pdf

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

BTW Google Pages are crawled just fine. site:googlepages.com in yahoo returns 938000 links.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google Groups and Google Pages can be crawled like any other site on the web. Google News is a search engine and doesn't have original content (except for a small number of comments). Google Book Search is indeed a problem, but the books are displayed as images anyway and may have different licensing terms. Book Search should at least have an API.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Indeed, the query site:groups.google.com returns ~12,600,000 results. Google News results shouldn't be indexable, as they're only search results (which would also be against the Google webmaster guidelines).

16 years ago #

thanks for the correction, my question had many wrong assuptions.

16 years ago #

I will distill "Why doesn't google disclose the contract with the libraries regarding the mass digitalization of books, such as the Bavarian State Library?" from it OK?

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Dear Eric Schmidt:

Ever considered using Youtube as a method to disrupt the current Hollywood-style infrastructures in the USA and other wealthy nations? Meaning you make deals and share revenue directly with writers, directors and producers and releasing original productions through Youtube in hi-def. Then users stream to the device du jour.

Better still: do you think that it is too late for this kind of disruption and that the big media companies and Telecoms have already gained to large a foothold on this potential market?

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: Okay. Thanks

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hey J. McNair:

i think Vint Cerf was asked ans replied:

Asked about Google’s recipe for success: “Don’t be a threat. Do no evil.”

So i don't think they will allow themselves to disrupt the Hollywood scene but only give artist/directors the tools to do it themselves so Google can later host them. (my guess)

Jess Robin Anderson [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

In your original startup time period at becoming Google was there anyone who helped with your idea that did not get listed credit and or take shares in your efforts. Did they if they exist request to be anonymous and like bob woodward are you keeping something in the dark from the public like Deep throat was??

Big Brother [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

"Asked on privacy issues of moving our data online: We understood the scope of one of the most exciting information trends since the stone age. Ever since humans back then understood that information can be helpful for their survival " say, knowing which animal is a sabertooth and which is a cattle " they wanted to possess as much information as possible. But now we get to see that theres one thing they want even more " to share information with others."

How does this address privacy concerns? IMO, this is a non answer from a former DARPA evangelist. Don't worry. Trust us and share. We won't be evil. Yeah, trust us, that's THE ticket.

Valdemar Jonsson [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Dear Eric Schmidt,
Will Google ever make it possible to search for music, like a music sore on the net, like Google Books. And music with copyright expired would be free to download?

16 years ago #

Questons are being sent off now, thanks.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

hehe, eric or someone else should do a community chat session sometime... ;)

statusgwned [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

So to get hired by Google I have to be on a ice skating choir team with a love for animals... forget knowing how to code

16 years ago #

(One hour passed quite some time ago, no reply from Eric Schmidt yet.)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Did you actually believe this?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I dont see the why the question can't be asked..afterall the essense of it is "Do you consider Google to be a parasite in this environment ?"

IF GOOG's can't answer that simple question.. and I mean not just Eric alone, but other's like ..hmmmm.. legal counsel, PR (maybe) Matt C etc etc.. can clue us into a beam of light..

The ecosystems of life always formulates a theory that the "parasites" always inhibited the earth as they morph and feed off the existence of other species. So what makes a nice little machine like google not feed off the likes of other human beings like "Eric, legal counsel, PR (maybe) Matt C" you and me ??

its a very rhetorical l question ..but nevertheless asked!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!