Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Built Phone Service to Train Speech-to-Text Software  (View post)

em151 [PersonRank 1]

Monday, December 17, 2007
16 years ago5,458 views

I'm glad to see that we humans are being used for a good cause.

surendra [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

ya me too
but with out knowing we are helping Google to do that one

que [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Glad I can help! I've used the service several times with great results. It's free with no advertising, so I always assumed they were using the service to gather information/voice samples anyway. It already does a real good job of determining what is said. So, that'll just mean better search options (for cell/audio/video sources) in the future that I will surely use.
I also wonder how much of this type of work they are doing with YouTube and Google videos. Do they have transcribers and typists plowing through to try and train the algorithm from them too?

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What do you think TellMe's been doing all these years. You think they were just offering a free service? They do many companies voice systems. How do you think it would be so good without all of the free users. Back when TellMe first came out – they weren't nearly as good as they are now. (I remember that when checking the baseball scores when you said Tell Me More – it said Baltimore Orioles!)

annplugged [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google is alway using the data they gather to improve things – whatever product they have launched had a further purpose. I really wonder how the competition between Google video search and Blinkx is going to change. If Blinkx had a bit more focus on increasing usability and web2.0, they could gain a bigger share of the video search market pie. Do you use Blinkx at all guys?

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hope it starts anytime in Germany

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Mr Friedman, what free users? Do we get rip of by Google? Even if Google will earn money in the furture from the results of data from "free users", we "free users" lost nothing. I am glad that Google often found win-win solution between the service provider and the users. Google gets data, and users get the services, as long as the privacy of users can be well kept, this is quite good.

I would expect Google will create some call center products, or license its voice recognition engine to other companies.

brendan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

the google is gathering its strength and sophistication. the google decided It needed to be able to understand our voices, to better assimilate us into the future. It has chosen 411 as a path to learn our ways, that It may better reap our wisdom and become the Omniscient one.

all hail the google.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Andy,

I think you misunderstood me. When I said free users, I meant users that get a free service; not users doing work for free. I fully support what Google is doing as I do TellMe. (Even though now that Microsft bought TellMe, I cringe when I use it.)

My point was that people shouldn't go crazy over this "new" concept when it's been around for years [TellMe].

I, as well as you, am glad that Google finds win-win solutions between the service provider and the users.

I hope I am clear now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!