Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Picasa/Google storage renewal

DnC [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, December 20, 2007
16 years ago4,464 views

So i have tried everything to get in contact with google, but there is no hope. here is the scenario and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has had the same issues.

November 2006 I purchased what was then 40GB storage for $100. It renews ever year. Now here lies the problem. Google changed its price of the 40GB storage this year to $75. But my storage was renewed at $100

I contacted picasa, I contacted google checkout and I wrote in the google groups for picasa. But no response. zero. Now I know google has close to zero customer service, but when it comes to paying customers I think there should be some sort of contact info here.

anyone else had a simmilair issue?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You can try using this form to contact them:
https://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/request.py

Maximus [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I would like to see a continuation of the topic

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's strange. Using the same logic, people who paid $1 for 10GB should continue to pay $1 every year, but that's not the case.

16 years ago #

A help topic on refunds:

<< Do you offer refunds for storage upgrades?

You may cancel your storage upgrade within 30 days for full refund. After 30 days, you will not be able to obtain a refund, but you can keep the space for the rest of the year and opt not to renew when the year is up.

If you selected an option greater than 10GB, you can always downgrade to a smaller amount for the pro-rated difference between the two. To view your account details and to downgrade or upgrade storage please visit https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageStorage >>

Help Topic URL:
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=57602&topic=10768

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< ... people who paid $1 for 10GB should continue to pay $1 every year, but that's not the case. >>

Well, Google said that won't happen but only time will tell...

16 years ago #

I think its time for Google to create a 'Renewal' help topic. :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Suppose someone buys 40GB for a year, then chooses not to renew. I wonder how Google decides which files to delete, and how long they wait?

Seth [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You SHOULD be using Flickr Pro which gives you UNLIMTED storage for $25 a year....
http://flickr.com/upgrade/

I love most Google products but Flickr just has Picasa beat....they should have bought them when they had the chance.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

‏‎[put at-character here]Seth,
I agree Flicker is better, but let's not forget the amount of storage isn't only for PicasaWeb, but for Gmail, and probably upcoming services

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Suppose someone buys 40GB for a year, then chooses not
> to renew. I wonder how Google decides which files to
> delete, and how long they wait?

I asked this Google, here's their reply:

<<Here's how it works – if you decide to cancel you storage subscription, your account will default back to each product's free storage amount (i.e., 1GB for Picasa Web Albums and 5.9GB for Gmail).

Then if you're over your free quota in Gmail, you won't be able to send or receive mail. If you're over your free quota in Picasa Web Albums, you can't upload new photos or videos.

But you can of course remove files or buy storage again to get below quota, and you'll be back in action.>>

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's decent of them. Nothing gets deleted.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Indeed, i definately didn't expect that...

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

That is good, and it makes sense. It's not like Google is itching for the disk space and needs to recover it from deactivated extended storage accounts. I would think it's more work to them to wipe your data (and much more risk) than to just deactivate your sending/posting abilities.

Maybe this is a bit [OT], but what about other storage services? What happens to your data in a similar situation? Are some of them desperate enough for disk space that they *will* delete your data?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!