Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why Google accounts have been disabled

Bryan Burkholder [PersonRank 1]

Monday, December 24, 2007
16 years ago2,820 views

The people that are experiencing their accounts disabled as of last night, is a result of new Google password requirements. They have upped it from 6 to 8 characters. Only they didn't tell anyone in advance. :'(
This can be evidenced by selecting "reset password." If you type in your old password, it will show up "too short." My personal account has not been disabled (which had >8 characters), but my parents was disabled (=6 characters).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't think that's true. The new password length is not that new (it's from August or even earlier).

Some context:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-ABCs/browse_thread/thread/a8d917d81039592f

Usually Gmail disables accounts when you break the TOS or when your account happens to have the same patterns as some spammers' accounts. Google likes to automate everything, including disabling accounts.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This has been around for months – It's only when you change your password.

Stefanie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

My account was disabled this morning-- I checked back later and was able to get in. The issue is that they are trying to block out individuals that are creating a lot of SPAM and some innocent individuals got disabled, but things are getting on track. Just keep trying every once in awhile. I also sent them an e-mail and that could have helped the situation as well.

Good Luck

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!