Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google in 2008  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Friday, December 28, 2007
16 years ago9,431 views

Maybe I shouldn't link to my own posts, but I've already compiled a list of possible updates:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/12/predictions-for-googles-2008.html

16 years ago #

Oh, and I think MyWorld == Niniane Wang’s “Project in Social Space”.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't remember where I read it but I think Firefox 3 which will debut in 2008 will have an option for offline Gmail access. I think the article was speculation about an API that was being developed but should be interesting to see if that pans out in '08.

Luis Fernando Imperator [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

great post. congrats!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Jotspot... jotspot ..a farm that links in all the apps together!! really really needed for startups and SME

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm excited about Knol. And what's wikipedia's search engine going to do soon.
Very nice article, Phillip!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow so much to look foreword to next year....

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great post for someone who's unconscious with internal bleeding. hehe :) (OK I'm sorry I couldn't resist. It's just such a relief. No more. I give you my word. :-0)

Garamond Clockwise [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I expect Google to provide a suite of Chinese text-processing tools.

16 years ago #

<<... new Gmail design
Screenshots of a slightly changed Gmail layout have been circulating over at the Google Operating System blog. More to come in 2008?>>

Am I missing something? I thought the screenshots showed on the Google Operating System blog were only different because of AIM integration which we know have. Is there something else. It looks the same to me. ~:-/

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Zim
<<KI'm excited about Knol. And what's wikipedia's search engine going to do soon.
Very nice article, Phillip!>>

I am with you!

16 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/119586.html#id119597

The colour scheme was changed in a later screenshot, Avrohom

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My prediction, merging. By that I mean cross support between projects. You already see this with your gmail contacts loading up automatically when emailing reader feeds and when choosing collaborators in Docs. An example of what could be; load your pics into PicasaWeb and when you go to add a picture into blogger/orkut/notepad/docs next to the upload box is an option to upload from your picasa account. Although the picasa example is fictional, is very easy to see how Google could implementing this. Google would draw a better steam of users (not to mention loyal due to the convenience as Philipp points out) by having better cross system support. The longer you keep someone on your turf, the longer you have to present them with an ad

16 years ago #

<<The colour scheme was changed in a later screenshot, Avrohom>>

really? where?

Why did he link to the post that showed AIM – Maybe he's been writing this post for a while and forgot to take this off.

lavaface [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

suprised you didn't mention Grand Central!

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]AEF:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_ZaGO7GjCqAI/RzMZS0H2ROI/AAAAAAAAGMA/eYiHTcVUw58/s400/gmail-aim-1.png

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]"... new Gmail design":
my gmail looks exactly like this screenshot, except the slightly different color...

16 years ago #

There's a new icon next to Chat and a new color scheme (e.g.: white text on blue background). At least that's what I see.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Globally i appreciate how Google services are developed and growing ...
At the same time i have some idea which i hope to see soon:

1- instead of using a web navigator like Mozilla firefox to access google services, i would prefer to have specialized software which only serves to access selected google services (mail, talk, groups, .....) when the user don't need external links (google search for example require a web navigator). such software can be developed on the basis of Mozilla products and can be very useful for both Internet and mobile users.

2- i also hope to see specialized social networks for professional, researchers, developers to allow information sharing and exchange more efficiently in a clean environment. I can't use Orkut for such things ...

That is all for now!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Googlers run for Obama?
Check that...
http://www.politicalbase.com/money/search/&company=Google&officePresident=1&officeSenate=1&officeHouse=1&page=1&sortCol=amount&sortDir=asc

robojiannis [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Interesting. But Google health? I trust the web, I really do. But I'd rather go to a doctor for advice. In some subjects, authority is necessary.

16 years ago #

^ Google Health isn't about advice though, is it? I thought it just made it easier to access your medical history and your doctor could access it with your permission Also, I guess that they would give *generalized* info like: " 30 free cent of Americans have -'

16 years ago #

<<There's a new icon next to Chat and a new color scheme (e.g.: white text on blue background). At least that's what I see.>>

OK. At I see what you're talking about. About the colors – I wouldn't go bananas over that one. The blue is the same shade as my Google Apps account. As for the white lettering it could be that Google is experimenting with the trusted users that's not necessarily a sign of things to come. As for the icon near chats – at least that's something, but if that is the only diff. (save for the minute color changes) I don't think this is enough to warrant an excitement for a new Gmail (Gmail 3.0?????).

16 years ago #

These was also something about other IM networks being integrated, right lonut?

16 years ago #

That was (my) speculation. But taking into account that the next version of Windows Live Messenger connects to AIM and Jabber (in addition to Yahoo), I don't see why Google shouldn't do something about it. I doubt that Google will achieve true interoperability.

16 years ago #

<<These was also something about other IM networks being integrated, right lonut?>>

Yea – that rings a bell – Google said that this is just the begining – but you cant see that from Ionuts screen shot

16 years ago #

<<That was (my) speculation>>

Could be – but the bell that rang in my head was when the Gmail blog said <<P.S. If you own a large IM network and would like to work with us, have your people contact our people. >> http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/gmail-chat-aim-crazy-delicious.html

So you never know!

Tim Costello [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope GMail enables sorting by sender, subject etc. I'd like to finally use GMail in 2008

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tim: I've still never figured out why anyone would want to sort by sender / subject? Can't you just search instead?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

dugg http://digg.com/tech_news/What_s_in_store_from_Google_in_2008

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

What about Mobile? I think this is the space where Google is making the most noise and has the largest potential growth.

PS I forecast their stock price will get cut in half. Anyone want to take my bet on that? ;)

Sam Lawrence [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google is the most visible company who could connect the dots to unify utility with social applications. Rumor is they'll do this under the umbrella of "Google Sites" which is meant to:

"allow business to set up intranets, project management tracking, customer extranets, and any number of custom sites based on multi-user collaboration."

This will be fantastic for the Enterprise 2.0 market overall by providing a clear, disruptive "sum of its parts" vision for companies. It will also clear space for other collaboration-centric companies focused on enterprise 2.0 to compete.

I just wrote about this and other 2008 predictions on the JiveTalks blog. You can read the post here: http://www.jivesoftware.com/community/blogs/jivetalks/2007/12/27/expectations-for-2008

Michael Adams [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I think that something will come of Google's acquisition of GrandCentral.

stevie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i think google shud have its own my space

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]stevie: I never used social networking sites... except stumbleupon, but thats quite different... but isn't orkut like myspace.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

yeah...usually we disregard comments like that from people especally when their person rank is zero :) they tend to detract from real discussion about the big G

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPIC: Normally I wouldn't react, but I am bored to death, although I still have to get a presentation and a poster ready for tommorow... its just that I am getting angry at m$ and Y! everytime I do a search on G...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!