Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Switching to Google Reader? [Poll]  (View post)

John [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, October 26, 2005
18 years ago

This is the first RSS reader I've used and I think it works fine. I don't have a frame of reference. It could be that RSS clients have "must-have" features that I am unaware of.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm now using it for everything Google-related (the official Google blogs as well as all blogs by Google employees) and nothing else.

18 years ago #

PS: I was sort of wondering why Google Reader didn't have the exact same interface as Gmail, or something very closely resembling it. A post = an email. Labels are already part of Gmail. Searching through mails = searching through posts, and so on. A switch in Gmail could then toggle Reader/ email. Maybe that's the "architecture astronaut"* approach here, I don't know.

* http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I essentially had gmail as my feed reader pre google reader, using rssfwd. but i like that google reader doesnt give you a sense of "oh no i have unread feeds, must read feeds...immediately!" its more "i'll read them when i get the time". I also like the "sort by relevance" because tehn teh ones you use your time on are good ones. i wish i knew how it determined relevance, its a pretty good system whatever it is. it knows that i like my comics best and pops them to the top, and that i prefer slashdot science and IT over linux and yro. and google blog pops to the top too, while digg is sorta spread around based on how good a link it is. its either a very good guesser or a very remarkable system.

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think it's good for feeds where you don't mind if you miss a few items. Bloglines is better if you want to see every single post. Bloglines is definitely better for Flickr feeds because Reader forces you to look at each photo individually.

I mainly use Reader for my casual reading, and Bloglines for my must-read feeds.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe it's because I have so many feeds but it freezes Firefox all the time.

Michael Tung [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The reason they Google Reader doesn't have the same interface as GMail is likely because different developers worked on the two products (during their 20% time)

Peter Nielsen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'd love to use it BUT it's still got some serious problems. I'm still not able to unsubscribe some of my feeds. No matter which browser I use the feeds remain in the reader even after I've used to option to unsubscribe the feeds. Until they get that fixed I'm sticking with bloglines

Brian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've had the same unsubscribe problem. Sometimes it will eventually unsubscribe, but takes a few hours.

18 years ago #

Peter, Google said this was intentional (a feature, not a bug, the reasoning being you would still see your old copies of a magazine lying around your house even if you unsubscribed this magazine). However, I agree it may be a problem so there should at least be the *option* to unsubscribe including old posts.

K.V.C [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'll use it after a few more versions. Currently it just doesn't match what I'm using now – Great News – but because of the problems I'm having with that, I find myself using it more offen..

Rajesh Segu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I am great user of BlogLines and I love it except its performance. I recently tried out Google Reader but it does not work well in my Firefox but did well in my Mozilla. As I like Firefox to Reader I have to dump Reader and continue with my bloglines account.

Hope they sort out their bugs soon.

18 years ago #

Which version of Firefox are you using? It works in mine...

pjh [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7

It used to work partially on Firefox for me, but now cycles on the login page. Works ok in IE Win2K, or on FireFox beta 2 on Mac.

Doesn't always remember what I've read though...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!