Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Converting Google Book PDFs to Actual Books  (View post)

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 3, 2008
16 years ago6,305 views

I am pretty sure many people had such million-dollar idea.

One variation may be like this:
To reduce costs of delivery, the provider may have high speed printers in major cities around the world.

I am not going to share any more details on it.

But likely you will sort out more details by yourself.

Will you run such million-dollar idea?
Even if you happen to have 100K of startup fund?

Meoip [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

We had a print on demand bookstore for newspapers, PoD books and other such things. It never did to well, I think it sunk to much in oddball subscriptions that they thought people would print off instead of subscribing themselves.
On the other hand the Pod Book mobile seemed to work well.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It would be nice if such service teams up with FedEx, in US. That way you can print a book and pick it up locally.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, drtimofey had come up with more details I was not going to share.

Dam, I just lost one million dollars.

Yes, FedEx and post offices had outposts everywhere already, the costs and risks of building needed infrastructure can be kept minimum.

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I doubt this will stay in existence: Google asks that you don't automatically query their service with the downloads of public domain PDFs...

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Kevin, I don't think it's automated (at least in the way and definition Google objects to). Users manually request a book, then the query is sent. You can see in http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=33583&topic=8460 that they for example don't consider their FeedFetcher to be automated. Ok, in that case it's because it suits them that way (to ignore robots.txt) :-), but then obviously they'll have to stand by their definitions.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!