Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Organizing email without folders?

mashboo [PersonRank 0]

Friday, January 4, 2008
16 years ago2,717 views

In Outlook, I can drag emails out of my inbox and over into another folder and keep them organized that way an thus leave my inbox fairly uncluttered. But since gmail does not have folders, and uses labels instead, I have marked the emails with labels, but they remain in my inbox. How can I unclutter them. Is there some way to "Move" them out of my inbox to another place?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just archive them. The email will still be saved, it just won't be in your Inbox. Whenever you want to look at what was in a specific label, just click the label name on the left hand side of the screen and its as if you opened a folder.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think Gmail will add drag&drop to make this feature more intuitive.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

^^ Prediction Or Leak? :P

I think the most user-friendly e-mail service would be one designed like iTunes. When you drag your email over the folder the folder goes blue and you can easily tell if your are selecting the right one. I also noticed that the mail app in OS X is just like that after i searched about it, but having it as a webmail client would be nice too.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

yahoo! is good in that case. Drag-n-drop thing with folder going blue works like charm their

But I still like gmail. For me POP them out, manage them at my desktop & go to the webmail once in a week to mark them as read.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

^^Or use IMAP and it does it for you :P

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Gmail + IMAP + Thunderbird = :D

That way I have email on my PC, Laptop, at college and online! And that way I get Visual and Sound alerts (Win 98 before you say anything, so no GTalk for me)

Oh and on Thunderbird a "folder" apears called "All Mail" which is the archive.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!