Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Good example of a bad Google Image Ad

beussery [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 8, 2008
16 years ago4,701 views

Ok, for a few days I've noticed an image ad here at Blogoscoped. The image contains no information other than a "funky" illustration and has nothing to do with page content as far as I can tell. (screenshot below from my profile page)

Sorry but I had to click on the ad and here is the landing page:
http://calpipebollards.com/?GCID=S18689x001&KEYWORD=bumper+posts

Just curious about your opinion, is this a “good” ad? What good does it do to have an obscure image and no text?

http://www.beussery.com/ad.jpg

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You do know Google doesn't make the ads. Just publish them.

If you wanna " Blame " someone on how stupid (and i must say it is stupid alright) the ad is, you should blame it on the company who made the ad. Which is obviously, the same landing page you got to. :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Pipe Bollards, sometimes called Bumper Posts or Pipe Guards, are designed for security , property protection from vehicle ramming, traffic control and pedestrian safety>>

Bumper posts also means something else so it's a case when AdSense couldn't disambiguate the text.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don't get me wrong it's not Google's fault I know! I just don't know what the advertiser is thinking with this one. My hope is that maybe someone here will reach out...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well you clicked it didn't you? Therefore it worked ;-)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm with James. It worked!
Look at television advertising! To be successful, it must be so f*cking good or terribly bad. In both cases it will work!
For example, if you are searching for a new cpu, you may click the link "32 cores in your home computer" (outstanding product) or "rock your neighbourhood with a x286" (very bad product); but you won't click "get a Pentium II and fly!" (nothing interesting, it isn't good or bad! – standard product)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!