Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Advise Wanted] Photo Sharing

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 10, 2008
16 years ago2,996 views

Need a bit of advice about Photo Sharing Sites.

Scenario:
A Local Cycling group wants to set up a way for members to send in their own photos, rather than using an upload form they have decided to use a photo sharing site. Members should be able to email their photos in (rather than having an account). They would prefer a free service. Currently we are unaware of how many photos would be uploaded.

We have already compared PWA and Flickr. Do you know of anyothers that would suit this purpose? (We have already discarded Photobucket)

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm missing something.
You guys want to suggest this to Google or Yahoo! ?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Basicly I'm just asking for suggestions of photo sharing sites that allow upload by email and have reasonable limits

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like zooomr

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just checked zooomr. The whole unlimited thing is realy good, seems to be missing email upload which is probably the most needed feature in this situation :(

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What about starting up a Blogger blog? Members can then email posts with image attachments as described here:

How do I post via email?
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41452

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger
Well that's a step to emailing to PWA :D

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice bypass Roger :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, but Picasa Web only offers 1GB for free and that may not be enough. I'd use the free version of Flickr and I'd keep track of all the photos uploaded by subscribing to the feed in Google Reader. This way, I'll have access to all the photos even if not all of them are visible at Flickr (only 200 of them are visible).

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< This way, I'll have access to all the photos even if not all of them are visible at Flickr (only 200 of them are visible). >>

I'm sure once heard you can also just keep adding all your photos to one set and that also gets around this limitation...

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would suggest Flickr Pro account. 25 dollars a year, you can email the photos to an email address and its unlimited storage.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

SmugMug offers email uploading but they are 39.95 a year for unlimited storage.
http://www.smugmug.com/price/

Just looked at Kodak Gallery and Shutterfly and they both require software to upload photos so thats not an option for you.

Trina Pastina [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

why would you not just use a free php nuke board and set one up or join one and start a community?
   I found one at www.phpsnuke.com that seems pretty new and is all free. I would put something like that up if I were you.

[Unlinked URL – Colin]

Trina Pastina [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hey here I found the way those php sites look from their link into theirs.
   The main page I think has links to download and get sites like that but look at this www.phpsnuke.com/nuke/index.php (I copied and pasted it.) I hope that helps. My dad says that php is the newest and best way to do photos and videos. He is going to put a page like that up for me (I hope!)
   Good luck,
Trina

[URL unlinked – Tony]

Susi Doring [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You should check out 2Pad. It's the latest in super private photo and video sharing. EIther go to the website (www.2Pad.com) or send pictures from your email to 2Pad[put at-character here]2Pad.com, the perk about this photo sharing service is that users share FROM their gallery's. So other friends and family only see what is sent to them.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!