Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Irish Town To Become First 3-D town in Google Earth

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 10, 2008
16 years ago3,160 views

[ http://www.examiner.ie/story/ireland/ojcwcwcwmh/rss2/ Via: Well... RTÉ News]

Westport in West Mayo is to become a 3 dimensional town in Google Earth thanks to technology originally developed in west Mayo...

<< Thanks to technology already developed in west Mayo, Google has adopted Westport as its first site with architectural quality images of its streets, available on its satellite service.

It is still in discussions to see if the service can be rolled out beyond Westport.

Town manager Peter Hynes said the 3D profile, originally developed for planning purposes within the town, will take on a new life with its ties to Google Earth. >>

I dunno about you but after reading the article this just screams "MyWorld" and "Niniane Wang's Project" at me...

<< "Previously this was introduced to help people with planning applications but the prospects now are to promote the town as a tourist destination.

"Places like New York already have 3D images but they are just plain square-type designs, this is the first with picture-quality images of the town itself," she said. >>

<< Daniela Brica, Google Earth’s senior associate and 3D Captain for Europe, the Middle East & Africa, will launch the project in Westport next Wednesday evening.

It will be available on earth.google.com from January 16.>>

Exiting Stuff!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

First 3D town in Google Earth?
Hamburg and some other German cities are completely in 3D in Google Earth since last year.

16 years ago #

Yes, but on the news, this looked way different, more...second-ife-ish...more...liveable

16 years ago #

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/01/westport_in_ireland_gets_3d_in_goog.html

See! I wasn't misinformed!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!