Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Crime Info in Google Mapplet

Ben S [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, January 19, 2008
10 years ago1,691 views

I've developed a mapplet for displaying crime information from postacrime.com within Google Maps. Search 'crime' in the directory and you'll see it. Hope you find it helpful, I'm anxious to read any comments. Thanks.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Mapplets are mini-applications that run within Google Maps. I think you would call this a mashup or maybe mapplet mashup?

beussery [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Don't get me wrong it's pretty cool! Did you set this up to work in Google Earth too?

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Ben S: « Search 'crime' in the directory and you'll see it. »

Given main difference between paper- and web docuverses being the latter's defining ability to link to any given resource on the Internet in a concise, single-unbroken-line/clickable fashion, you couldn't come up with an _unambiguous_ URL to your mashup-app, but had to resort to written, verbose, "analog" instructions?

Shame on you. Reporting ya now to postacrime.com, Internet-cluelessness section ;-))

[ ... and how's that for an aguish-quenching comment?]

beussery [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Another "," in the URL above, the working URL is postacrime.com/

Please feel free to delete this post when the URL is fixed. :)

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Administrivia: not to tout me own horn too much, but Philipp's plaintext-2-html robot really ought to check for such by-design-counterproductive string instances as an "unslashed" URL immediately followed, ie. terminated, by a "comma," or other illegal characters. Among other things.

Ben S [PersonRank 1]

10 years ago #

Thanks guys for your comments, I apologize for the analog based instructions for the mapplet, I didn't want to link spam my first post on this forum...

Beussery, the website postacrime.com is definetly a mashup, and we've also developed a Mapplet for use directly inside of Google maps <a href=" maps.google.com/ig/directory?s ...

I haven't got it setup for Google Earth, that may be the next project. Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Ben S [PersonRank 1]

10 years ago #

By the way the FUBAR html was a bit of a joke ;)

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!