Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Flickr Public Domain Pics

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 24, 2008
16 years ago4,578 views

Flickr now has over 1 million images from the public domain courtesy of the US Library of Congress, asking users to help tagging:

http://www.flickr.com/commons

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"No known copyright restrictions" is not quite the same as "public domain", although it may be near enough for some purposes.

16 years ago #

But these are in the public domain as far as I know. For instance, one set is from 1910 (pre-1923) which I think puts them in the public domain, and another set is from US government sources, which I think puts them in the public domain.... e.g. Wikipedia says, "Works created by an agency of the United States government are public domain at the moment of creation."

I think they should offer an easy zip file of the sets though – it looks like a good image data set to have some fun with for data mining purposes or the like.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

kewl I just added the feed to my google screensaver!!

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The figure of a million photos relates to the LOC collection – it's not how many have been placed on Flickr.

There are two collections available via Flickr, totaling just over 3000 photos.

16 years ago #

Ah, OK. I had the information from Drawn.ca:

<<What do you do with a million public domain images that need context and description?

The Library of Congress is putting them on Flickr.>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!