Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Presentations Adds Shapes  (View post)

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

Friday, January 25, 2008
16 years ago11,356 views

(Hmm, my Firefox settings don’t allow replacing of the context menu via JavaScript, yet when I right-click such a shape I don’t get the FF-native menu... but only Google’s context menu. Does anyone know what’s happening?)

Could be blocking the right-click (as has been done on many sites to "protect" the source code) and then creating their DIV or whatever at the mouse location. Haven't looked at it tho.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Could be blocking the right-click ... and then
> creating their DIV

Yes, but that's exactly what the Firefox setting I mentioned is supposed to prevent, and it still happens. Tools -> Options -> Advanced... -> Allow scripts to: Disable or replace context menus [unchecked]

I do have the Google Toolbar installed though. Wonder if I allowed this replacement in some setting.

Manu [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Pretty good indeed. Considering that Google Docs is made entirely in JavaScript (a high level language, which gets parsed each time a page loads), it's quite fast. For the 1st time someone has made use of <oval> <shape> and other DHTML tags efficiently. :-)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<
I do have the Google Toolbar installed though. Wonder if I allowed this replacement in some setting.>>

I don't have the Toolbar, but I have noticed that my context menu does not show in the Docs list or Presently. Also, if I right click a cell in Spreadsheets, it doesn't show either.

I guess it could be a bug in Firefox.

16 years ago #

> I guess it could be a bug in Firefox.

Is Google exploiting this bug?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm. I have this option checked too, yet I get the custom context menus too. And it's not just on Google Docs either.

Philipp, try this page: http://www.djwice.com/contextmenu.html

I see their custom menu when I right-click too.

16 years ago #

Just to avoid misunderstandings, the issue isn't that a DHTML context menu from the page appears, that is OK and normal... the issue (with Google Presentations, as I noticed) is that the *Firefox* context menu *does not* appear. (For instance, on djwice.com the FF menu does appear, overlaying the site's own menu.)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

well, its not just that the Context Menu does not appear, its that the Firefox settings explicitly allow you to disable Javascript from hiding the context menu and yet Google has found a way to do this (which wasn't in previous releases of GDocs).

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

As far as I know, Firefox only blocks the oncontextmenu event.

Maybe Google is handling the onmousedown event for right click, and suppressing that. It could then display a div, which disappears when the mouse moves out of it.

Google do handle the onmousedown event in here (http://docs.google.com/js/1549260109-PresentationEditor_en-GB.js), but the code is pretty much unreadable, so I was unable to work out the usage.

Shayon [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Must say, although docs and spreadsheets have almost replaced the desktop clients, the presentation still has a lot more to travel.

16 years ago #

> As far as I know, Firefox only blocks the
> oncontextmenu event.

Stephen, again to avoid misunderstandgins... this isn't about what Firefox blocks – it's about what Google blocks. Google blocks the Firefox context menu, intentionally or not. If Google is doing this intentionally, then they're exploiting a browser bug (or vulnerability, if you want). If not, then it's just, well, a FF bug.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Check out this site:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

With the option you've specified, using Fx 2.0.0.11, I do not get the context menu until I have cleared the JavaScript "Function Disabled" prompt. If you created a similar event that needed to clear but that didn't you'd probably be able to block the context menu.

Nels [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

may be NoScript aplication?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!