Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Navigationbar By Categories

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Friday, January 25, 2008
16 years ago3,183 views

Well, it's not really categories.. But have a look..

http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/39712/2005401652833707345_rs.jpg

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was absolutely sure this had already been posted about but I can't find the thread. I definitely read about it here though:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/01/dividing-line-in-googles-navigation-bar.html

16 years ago #

Oh..
Sorry :P

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my limited experienced, I noticed that most people ignore Google's navigation bar and very very few know they can access other Google services by clicking on More. I could be wrong, though.

16 years ago #

No i think you're right here...

Google should think of a way to make it more useful.. :/

16 years ago #

Some observations:

* It's difficult to locate items in a drop-down list if they're not sorted alphabetically.

* Google Finance is not a search engine. Try 10 random queries and see how many return results in Google Finance.

* Picasa Web shouldn't show search results. "Photos" should be a navigational link.

16 years ago #

I used to always use the "Blogs" item in the drop down which was at the top. Now I have to actually think every time I want to do this. Thinking is bad. Don't make me think!

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Plus, the YouTube one has been broken since it's been there, and that's the one that I always click on.

16 years ago #

I rather just type the first two letters in the address bar. And if Firfox doesn't offer anything, i go to the navbar.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Tony

Here is the link:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/121384.html#id121384

16 years ago #

Weird. I searched the last five or so forum pages for "nav" but nothing showed up. I'm sure there's a bug that means some forum threads get hidden (which has been the case before). Let me do some testing...

[Edit: Yep. The thread was in "limbo" (i.e. between page 1 and page 2) when I was searching for it. I've alerted Philipp to this bug. Thanks.]

16 years ago #

<<Plus, the YouTube one has been broken since it's been there, and that's the one that I always click on.>>

The YouTube link is not broken. Its only purpose is to send you to YouTube's homepage (ignore the parameters). It's a navigational link, the same as Reader, Google Docs, Google Calendar.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

As if the different names for different products wasn't enough, they vary which products which serperate search, seperate "even more" and some don't even have an "even more".

I guess creating a common interface is not a priority at Google. I actually struggle now, I rely on the links on the navbar (its quicker) to move around but now I don't even know if the product will be listed and roughly where.

This navbar business is a joke to be honest. I'd rather they added the old search type links back (before they changed to the nav bar) and allowed users to customise the navbar.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I agree, the whole navigation bar is totally not Google. It should be redesigned for quick access to applications or should completely go away.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!