Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Is Obama muslim?  (View post)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, January 30, 2008
16 years ago6,541 views

Currently, this may be the most asked question by US citizens...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2229028827_9f1c981294.jpg

Via : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dirtdirt/2229028827/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In Chapter 6 of the book, titled "Faith," Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household." He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents, as detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He describes his Kenyan father as "raised a Muslim," but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his Indonesian stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful."

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

oh I 4got to answer the question

He has been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ for over twenty years.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

According to Google Trends [which is not really reliable, anyway...], this queries are ordered by number of searches.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If he *were* a Muslim what would be wrong with that, is the President not allowed to privately believe in any faith preferred? (E.g. is this against the US constitution?) The problem would be *radical* faith, of any kind, no?

Above 5 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

No Phillpp, nothing wrong with being a muslim in any country!!

However- its the common concenus that US has a majority of christian based citizens and thereby its roots are Christian.

Techicially, the "True American" – goes back to the Anasizi natives of 1200BC, who are the original natives of America and had their own religion that much like the current native indians!

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

spelling: "Anasazi"

Regardless, American interest in history is currently:

1 – has brett favre won a superbowl
2 – has cheeseburger
3 – has advantage

Yep, gives me hope.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Dam, Google Trends just revealed the privacy of American as a whole.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< If he *were* a Muslim what would be wrong with that, is the President not allowed to privately believe in any faith preferred? >>

Well, read this paragraph about Tony Blair :

<< On 22 December 2007, it was disclosed that Blair had converted to the Catholic faith, and that it was "a private matter". >>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Blair#Religious_faith

He wanted to do that ages ago, but he chose not to do so because he was worried about what other people will say, and all that politics crap.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Good Point David!

However, you say...

==>"He wanted to do that ages ago, but he chose not to do so because...[..]"

How do you know that he wanted to do that ages ago ? is this opinion or do you some factiod to share ?(i.e a statement of others, Fr, Tony B, reporters etc ?)

John LeMay [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Eh, that's intresting... but you prolly should have answered the question. You shouldn't spread rumors if you're not going to debunk them.

The answer is no, he is not.

His website on the rumor:
http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/11/12/obama_has_never_been_a_muslim_1.php

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd

I saw it on the news :)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd

His family was also attending mass "ages ago" =)

16 years ago #

lolll

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

For quite a few years, there have been regular press reports saying things like "Sources close to Tony Blair confirm that he plans to convert to Catholocism after he is no longer Prime Minister", and all those press reports turned out to be correct.

If Blair took Catholicism seriously, he presumably would have had to accept the Pope's strongly-voiced opposition to pre-emptive war in Iraq.

And the king or queen of the United Kingdom is prohibited from being a Catholic, so it might have led to some interesting discussions during the Prime Minister's weekly consultation with the Queen.

But religion and the state are not separated in the UK as they are supposed to be in the US.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> You shouldn't spread rumors if you're
> not going to debunk them.

The only information I was "spreading" is the fact that this question is apparently on the mind of many people – nowhere does my post say, or even quote others saying, that Obama is a muslim. (And indeed, by feeling the need to "debunk" that, you would already imply you think it's a point worth debating.)

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> The problem would be *radical* faith, of any kind, no?

If we take into account who the _current_ president is, obviously not. :-P

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Veky,

Compared to some others in this country, Bush is radical by no means...

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Of course. But for the president of United states, standards really should be higher.

Jacob [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Notice how the number of results is 666,000.
ha, 666...
>.>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!