Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Live Stealing. (Oh! I meant Live Ideas)

mak [PersonRank 5]

Wednesday, February 6, 2008
16 years ago3,452 views

I noticed an msn friend of mine "showing off" a link on msn:
http://get.live.com/betas/home

The beta services there are all (except the storage thing) copies of what google has. I thought it's interesting to see your thoughts about this.

Are they (M$) trying to "copy" all google sub-products and breathe "live" into them?!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Obviously, Live.com was built to copy Google.com. From the homepage to all the services.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

On the other hand a lot of Google services can be said to copy the MS Office model (i.e. building an suite containing calendar, presentation, text editing and spreadsheets software).

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, I think the only real difference is that the Live homepage has a picture of this peculiar man:

http://get.live.com/images/WL/Merchandising/en/gb/betas/beta_home_header_sept.jpg

Who is he??

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Lol

i think microsoft copied google's uncluttered concept, they have more whitespace in page which is bad and unmatured , while google superbly uses whitespace and impress customers.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

live.com looks ugly :(

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have to disagree with you there Suresh, I prefer some of microsofts use of Whitespace.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Who is he??

It's a generic stock photo pretending to depict a "happy user" but actually an actor paid for the smile (I suppose you're made to better identify with the site and also to assume that happiness is associated with buying into the product, hence make the company more money).

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Right. A bit like ads for Gap. Eugh.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, also like ads for Snorg tees, but you don't hear people who complain about them!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!