Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Person rank

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, February 10, 2008
16 years ago4,046 views

86 people have a person rank of 10-- do people get a personrank of 10 after 120 posts?

I feel like it would make sense to have person rank depend on the top 5, 10, or 15 posters so that it would constantly be adjusting to that.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< do people get a personrank of 10 after 120 posts? >>

I would have thought it was more complex than that, e.g. activity in the last month, etc....

Might be wrong though.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Guess the calculation is really simple, but the most important difference is between having any rank or not... not really how high it is... although there is of course a difference with a pr of 2 or a pr of 8

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well it's not the last month..
"Jake's View" used to be a regular poster but has made only a few posts in the past year but he's still on PR10.

I think Philip said once there's an advanced piece of code behind it.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>>do people get a personrank of 10 after 120 posts?
I thought it is so!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There have been a lot of threads discussing this in the past but I can't actually find any right now.

Anyway, PersonRank isn't calculated purely based on the number of posts. It also takes into consideration how many threads you've posted to and is also affected by the name you use (so that multiple people posting under a single popular name rather than a full name or unique nickname don't accidentally boost the other person's PersonRank).

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

How can it tell if multiple people are posting with one name?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It can't. Which is why if you post with the name "David" you'll get a PersonRank of zero no matter how many posts you make. For example:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/posts-by-David.html
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/posts-by-John.html
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/posts-by-Matt.html

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I see, so how does it decide which names get a page rank of zero?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Common first names, anonymous and I'd hazard a guess at several IP addresses posting under the same name (assuming there is no chance of it being home/work IPs)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPic, as Tony mentions common first names are not receiving PersonRank (I have a database here with common names)... that's why when you make a comment it asks for your full name, and anything else you enter may be unsupported...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp, don't you think that less people should have a rank of 10?

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic, where and why should there be a border...? Anyone with a pr of 10 can be regarded as ok... there is no need for an extra border...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

what are you talking about? extra border? lolwut?

16 years ago #

What I meant is that all the people with a pr of 10 are practically the same and that it makes no sense to split them up...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

how is this splitting them up?

are you saying that having 1,113 posts (Sohil, #10) is the same as having 120 posts (zmarties, #86)?

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPic –

Phillip explained before that the purpose of PersonRank is so that you will know if the person has commented here before. Generally if a person has a PR of 10 (or getting up there) it means he has posted here multiple times already and he can probably be relied as someone who is trustworthy and not a spammer.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

For more questions on any of these issues pls also feel free to drop me an email please... info[put at-character here]blogoscoped.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!