Google Blogoscoped

Forum

mutating faces deteriorated?

woog [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, February 14, 2008
16 years ago2,548 views

It's interesting that in the 4 months since I've been here, the populations of animals and evil samurai faces seem to have deteriorated. They seem to be far less face-like and bird-like than before. Perhaps this is due to a larger group of human participants who have differing ideas and the pictures therefore are less able to converge...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In a certain way, MutatingPictures.com is currently still at around day 2 of the experiment. Why? Because the "human intelligence energy" or whatever you want to call it which the site received for computation on its launch day was *higher* than all the energy the site received in all days ever since *combined*. Which also means the original launch day experiment was never correctly repeated with any of the other sets.

I'm currently getting errors at Google Analytics for more precise number checking, but a typical day for the site these days results in 40 or so visits, whereas on launch day it was over 70,000 visits.

http://blogoscoped.com/files/mutatingpictures-traffic-2008-02.png

So there's not only the question of how we can undertake an experiment like this just once, but also: how do we make it interesting enough for repeat loyal visits? It was a bit of a battle against time with this experiment. Without fast interesting results, visitors won't come back... but without visitors coming back, no fast interesting results are possible.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Turn it into a captcha somehow?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like Roger's idea. Instead of having your simple math problem to verify your not a bot, why not have one of your mutating faces pop up and ask the user how much does it look like a face. Would be kind of neat to see how quickly the faces start mutating again.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Colin
I am not sure what Roger mean by turning it into a CAPTCHA, but what you described doesn't sound like a good idea to me because: 1) asking "how much does it look like a face" is an opinion question, answer can't be definite, and 2) usability.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah It wouldn't work cause any answer would be valid cause it was an opinion. Was just thinking out loud in that post. :p

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!