Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Vodafone UK blocking Gmail app?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, February 14, 2008
16 years ago5,460 views

I've been experiencing issues connecting to Gmail via the application in the past month or so. Every so often my phone claims that "the Connection was dropped by Network". Initially I thought it was a glitch in the application, or connection issue. But this seems to be more of blanket ban.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? I used to heavily rely on the Gmail App.

Mike Grundy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Hi there :)

Just thought I would respond to your entry regarding the Gmail Application.

As a Vodafone employee and as a personal user of the Gmail Application, I can confirm that Vodafone do not in any way block the use of the Gmail Email application or any of it's data. Im logged into mine right now and have never had any issues with it. Connection dropped by the network doesn't mean that Vodafone consiously dropped the link to Gmail but is more likely that your data connection was lost to the Network in general. Vodafone have a very strong relationship with Gmail and have agreements that incorporate Gmail into our own Vodafone L!ve Wap portal, to block access to their email application would not be in our best interests. It would be a good idea to contact us directly so we can take this matter up with you. Please visit Vodafone's eForum by going to the Vodafone eForum Contact Options where you’ll be to get in touch, the link is below :

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31

If you read and follow the instructions then you will get a response from the Vodafone eFORUM team. You could also post on the main forum to get experiences from other users of the Gmail application!

I hope this has helped!!!

Mike Grundy
Technical Care Professional
Vodafone UK LTD

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks Mike, the application worked perfectly up until recently – I'll contact the eFORUM team about the issue.

Wasn't quite expecting a response from a Vodafone employee :¬)

Martin

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's very nice that you did!
That sort of thing makes me want to switch to Vodafone.

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don't switch to Vodafone UK if you're a serious mobile data user – they insist on transcoding everything that passes through their servers, stripping user agent fields from HTTP headers (making it difficult for mobile websites to detect your browser), removing the VOIP app on Nokia N95s bought on their contract, block RTSP traffic, the list goes on. Their not a mobile data friend company.

Their response to everything is that each content provider must be whitelisted, when ultimately many mobile content providers can't keep up with their unannounced "features" so you'll get a bad mobile browsing/data experience overall.

I'm not saying none of the other UK operators are as bad, but recommend Vodafone, no way!

(Sorry, but mobile phone operators get me all worked up. I have to say btw the the vodaphone R&D division does some good work; but then again, so does Microsoft Research.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!