Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Hosted By Google ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Monday, February 18, 2008
16 years ago2,436 views

How many users here are using Google Hosting services ?? Some first hand feedback would be nice

a) How is/was your experience ??
b) was it easy to go for full production deployment ?
c) are you getting the bang for your buck ?
d) IS support ?

any feedbak would be kewl!

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

1.If you mean Google Pages, so poor...back to lycos's ages.
2.If you mean Blogger, compared with Wordpress, Blogger is not Blogger, it is older.

Google Apps, only Gmail and Gtalk good, others all at the wrong ways. At least, Google's User Manager System...the basic for a website, Poor.

Scott Griepentrog [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I use the google apps for domain on several domains, each for their own purpose. I found the GPC "Google Page Creator" easy enough for novices to use to create pages, although a little flakey with some browsers (generally you're pretty safe with firefox) and a bit too restrictive in terms of layout and design. For example, you can't have columns/page wider than a certain fixed pixel with – I think that's okay for some content, but there are times when you want the text to flow out to the entire browser's width. The lack of a page index feature is annoying, although I've partially addressed this with a bit of javascript (http://www.stg.net/sitemap). I would like it if they allowed people to add to the existing set of templates, like on blogger.

The rest of the apps are great – I'd been using gmail anyway when I switched over to my own domain, and the calendar is wonderful for keeping track of my family's schedule at a glance (I even sync my phone to it with goosync.com). I don't use docs much, but nice to have. We use gtalk occasionally to chat with each other. I don't really use the start page at all though – that is an appendix that could be done without in my opinion. In fact, I wish that by default domain.com would forward to www.domain.com to pick up the gpc hosted pages, rather than go to the start page. I figured out a fix for that on my site too, if you're running the domain on the google dns service.

On the whole, I find google apps a wonderful service and it has enabled me to do things very inexpensively and quickly. You can't beat what they offer, especially when it only costs $10/yr for the domain itself. A few things could use a few improvements to make it even better (mostly web hosting), but it's already a useful tool to have that I'd be really upset to be without.

[Link updated – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!