Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Improved Google nav bar?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Monday, February 18, 2008
16 years ago2,290 views

I'm pretty sure the topic has come up a few times about how in Google's navigation bar, the links below the line (i.e. YouTube, Calendar, Reader, etc.) were just links as opposed to the top half which were searches, and because of that clicking on YouTube would take you to the homepage of YouTube instead of search results with the terms you entered.

It looks like that has changed, as today I clicked on YouTube and it took me straight to search results for my query in YouTube. I can see that the same will happen for Photos and Reader, but not for Documents or Calendar.

It seems kind of strange since Documents and Calendar have search functionality, but this isn't making use of them. Also it makes it quite annoying when switching to something like IMDb or Flickr and not having the search query pre-populated :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Reader doesn't show search results.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm, strange...it puts your search query into the URL under the "q" parameter, but you're right that it doesn't actually do a search. Likewise, doing a search in Google Reader doesn't put any search terms into the URL either. Maybe that's going to change? In any case, it seems like they're passing your search terms on to Reader even if it isn't doing anything with them.

I'm pretty sure the YouTube one is a change though, because several of us have been complaining about that one.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!