Google Blogoscoped

Forum

National Google Images Autofilter?

Erik Høy [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, February 21, 2008
16 years ago2,877 views

I've been doing some searches on Google Images (Danish), comparing them to Google Images (International/Com). Reason is to find out how the Safe Search works.
On the Danish Google Image, Advanced Search, you have no possibility to disable or enable the Safe Search. Which you have on International Google. But a few searches might indicate that the Safe Search is on automatically like the default in the International Version (=Use moderate filtering).
In other words, the same searches in Danish Google Image and International Google show same number of results as in "Moderate Filtering".
The difference being that you do not in the Danish version have the possibility to change the Safe Search to Strict Filtering or No Filtering.
I haven't been able to confirm that this is correct or not. Google don't seem to mention that anywhere.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Are there stricter Danish child filter laws than elsewhere on the globe?

In China, the same thing happens, by the way (you can't disable filtering for kids even if you're not a kid).

Erik Høy [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I can't tell how it is in all other countries. But I don't think it's more restricted. I am a librarian, and we had a national discussion about child filters. Libraries don't need to have filters on their public internet computers. So my guess is, that it's not.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't believe such a restriction could be true, given what (little) I know about Danish culture.

I suspect your problem is that you're not allowing Danish Google to set cookies, and the change in the setting is done by default by putting the change in the cookie (which is a nasty way of requiring people to accept Google cookies).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!