Forum

Google TiSP For Real?  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Monday, February 25, 2008
16 years ago4,391 views

it seems google should have patented the idea

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Paris city fibre-optic network is currently installed under roads, in the famous "égouts" of Paris... Because it reduce the cost for deployment and speed up the construction of the network.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've watched several programmes in Cities which already do this, as Luka said, Paris is one of the main ones. To be honest, the idea isn't that far fetched, its making use on existing infrastructure.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Seems like stuff like draino would eat through the wires and cause issues.

But I'm sure there's materials that would hold up.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Interesting find! Don't recall where (maybe here, maybe not) but I recently came across an idea that is taking form where the plan is to use balloons for free wifi:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120347353988378955.html?mod=blog

KenKuhl [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

They announced a similar project for my city (Fort Worth, TX) back in 2001.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IGK/is_13_15/ai_76939067

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Eric

Some older sewage systems were designed to be navigated by man thus are generally larger than just a pipe . A great example of this is Paris, from the programme that was on TV a while ago (Megastructures on Discovery, I think), I'm pretty sure they showed that men navigated the system by foot to carry maintenance out. The Internet was mentioned and how the sewage system is being put to more uses that initially intended.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It look fascinated. If you recall physics about electron and radiation learned in high school, you will conclude that such sewage systems for transmitting signal work but in lab only.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hope the thing is sewer thing alligator proof but either way wouldn't want to be the guy to go in and fix the cable! :)

Realbrisk [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

The next time you will get an email that does not smell right assume it was just a sewer leak

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]beussery: ?what? alligators.

Any child will tell you these are degenerated dinosaurs, Godzilla-hatchlings that were disturbed when sewers were dug, evolved to thrive in near darkness, and now are getting Internet and no doubt free TV cable access!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!