Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chatback  (View post)

sanderqd [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, February 26, 2008
16 years ago7,078 views

You can now create a Google Talk chatback badge for your website, which allows your site's visitors to talk to you.

http://google.com/talk/images/badge.gif
http://www.google.com/talk/service/badge/New

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sweet, I always wanted something like this.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If a user clicks on the badge, you will be IMed to start a conversation in the Google Talk gadget. You can't chat with them within the client. That's stupid. Will they ever update Google Talk to incorporate the features of the gadget?

Still, a cool feature.

16 years ago #

I also decided in the last ten seconds that this would be even better if they expand it to on the fly group chat sessions. Like chat rooms sort of...

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, I don't like that very much as well. I also would like Google to require the guest to enter their names (pedobear at large!), sort of like GrandCentral...

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

After first tests :

1) Real Anonymous, for both chatters, even if logged in Google Talk (for the calling one), even your mail is private (for the host).

2) Chat are not recorded in your Gmail account.

3) Chat are not merged if you have more than one person contacting you. It is not chat rooms.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Haochi , Agreed they should have an option to enter a guest name. Very helpful when multiple people IM you.

[put at-character here] Luka , they should have the ability to merge chats.

Above 7 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Łukasz Gręźlikowski [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Can we use it for Google Apps adresses?

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is actually a great function for small-scale sites to set up free 'Live Chat' support service! It's amazing! ;)

Unzip [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Cool stuff! It is indeed great to deliver a support service for small businesses.

Hniu [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Is it possible to change text and/or background colors of the widget?

cellphish [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

freaking wicked!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Hniu:
There's an option to add a CSS file, but I don't know if you can use it here:
http://code.google.com/apis/talk/talk_gadget.html#theming

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Would be nice if there weren't 3 different versions of "Google Talk"
Oh, wait, four if you count the special Google Docs version.
No, wait, five if you count this new one.

Am I the only person who even uses the Desktop version?

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think you'll be soon the only one. And I hope.

Because I wonder why Google maintain their clients... I personaly think they shoudn't (even if they lose some users), and rather focus on the integration of the "chat à la Gmail" in all their apps (igoogle, docs, calendar, finance...). We all shift to the web, it's a question of months. And all the people I know who have adopted the Gmail chat have simunaltenously given up with the client. Skype is OK for VoIP, GrandCentral is on the way to provide full VoIP and Gmail is perfect to send files.

fox88 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

hi McNair

no you're not the only one who still uses desktop version! i use it as my ONLY im client... and ONLY im service.

but 'im sad, because google don't develop this desktop client, not event makes integration with MSN/WLM...

Ben [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

If your using a non Google Talk client, you might want to take a look at http://www.hab.la as a tool to chat with your visitors. In my tests the GoogleTalk chat doesn't work with Adium IChat or other multi-messenger services. Hab.la provides a similar functionality, but is much more refined.

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Despite all my click on the "Disable" boutton, Gadget are still active... It is annoying that a button do not do what it should.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Jérôme Flipo –

I don't know what your smoking. I started off using the in-Gmail chat tool – Then later I downloaded the GTalk Desktop App because I couldn't stand having to keep on switching over to the Gmail screen or an separate browser screen to see what someone sent me – Th talk app pops up in the bottom right hand of the screen so I don't have to do anything to see what they sent – and if it's worth ignoring I'll ignore it – i don't need to click over to see him say thank you. I now use both due to the fact that the in Gmail app has features that gtalk has – like aim and group. Additionally – why do I have open up Gmail to have to chat with someone – with the talk app – it signs me on as soon as I turn on my comp. – I also have many friends that say as soon as the talk app integrates aim – their aim app goes in the garbage

you probably don't have many ppl that you chat with – I have about 100 ppl who I chat with (we use it at work) – when your getting pinged every minute or two – it gets very annoying to jump over to the Gmail screen

wtvr

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would still use the client if I still used XP. I switched over to Ubuntu with Pidgin.

I'm still waiting for a Linux client.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!