Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to become default search on Opera Mini, Mobile

David Bloom [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, February 27, 2008
16 years ago3,903 views

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/02/27/afx4701512.html

The current default search engine on Opera's mobile browsers is Yahoo!, but it will become Google under a new 2-year agreement.

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Presumably this only really affects downloads of Opera Mini as AFAIK there's nothing stopping the operators or handset manufacturers from changing the default search back to whoever they're partnered with.

My Sony Ericsson on Orange UK (w/ Opera), bought 1 year ago, was set to Google as its default, for instance.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's good news. I haven't found a way to actually change the default from yahoo to google.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Awesome.The default was Google for Opera Mini until a little over a year ago. Unsurprisingly, there was a mini-uproar when they switched to Yahoo.

I found the link...the discussion occurred in the comments on this post:
http://my.opera.com/operamini/blog/show.dml/672698

Daniel Goldman [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Motti, the change will affect all users, even those who already have Opera Mini installed.

Since Opera Mini already works with a backend server to preprocess and compress all the webpages, Opera is able to dynamically update the default search engine on the Opera Mini start page.

Daniel
Opera Software

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Daniel: I understood the deal to mean a change of provider for the search menu item, not the opera mini start page which I've never seen (I assume this is the default homepage)?

Also, since you're a Opera guy – any pointers on how to change the homepage. I know it's just the first page in the bookmarks but these have been locked to Sony Ericsson ones. (I know I can flash, but otherwise ...)? (OT but I've found no solution anywhere on the net besides flashing)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!