Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Where Are You?  (View post)

Jansen [PersonRank 1]

Friday, November 4, 2005
18 years ago

the map doesn't show my place Hong Kong.

BradB [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Not right, but relatively close with the whole world as a frame of reference... it gives me a map of San Ramon (in northern California), and I live in San Diego.

Cow [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Got my country (UK) but not much else

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Gave me mountian view, CA with google web accelerator on; with it off, it gives me plano texas (im in arkansas, so close)

csh [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Unless Iowa has recently relocated to Manhattan it does not seem to be working.

Andyk [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

yup... showed me I'm in the UK (which I am) but wasn't exactly specific about it ;o)

I'm guessing your using IP's which is fine except for people using crappy ISP's like AOL who assign American IP's to all of their users even if they are outside of the USA.

Erick [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Got my firewall location, roughly. I'm at work in CA, firewall routes through maryland, somewhere. Map came up in Fredricksburgh, or something like that, nearby in virginia, I think...

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Got my firewall location as well. Pretty spiffy – I was worried when noscript blocked 9 javascripts but it worked anyway :)

Noel [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

My map was of "sunnyvale" and "los altos hills" and is that california? I'm in boston...

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It's quite close in IE7 (though doesn't display properly) about 30 miles away. But in Firefox 1.5 (again doesn't display properly) it only shows the default view for america.

dpneal
http://dpneal.blogspot.com

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

Sort of. I'm in Chicago, Illinois, USA.

That page gives me a map showing all of North America, South America down to northern Paraguay, the entire North Pacific Ocean, the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas, western Russia including the Kamchatka Peninsula, eastern Japan, all of New Guinea, and a little bit of the northwestern corner of Australia.

So, yeah, I'm in there.

John K [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

Off by 20 miles.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this is very clever. can you show us code how you did it?

dpneal
http://dpneal.blogspot.com

Andrea [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Well, it shows me a map of Europe, which isn't *wrong* as such, just not very precise. And it seems to try and locate me somewhere in the UK, as that's the only country filled with little red city dots and greenery.

I'm in Germany and using Firefox 1.0.7 on Win XP.

Gerard [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yes, it showed me the Netherlands which is where I am.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Right on the money. Castle Rock, Colorado

Nice work!

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It had no idea I was in the UK, as indeed the source :-

http://www.hostip.info/use.html

... puts it when visited directly: "actually we haven't a clue".

Apparently it couldn't pierce AOL's proxy (crappy is relative, Andyk: if you're stuck with dialup in the UK, AOL is best by far, despite it's cephalopodian installation). Ironically, Google itself has no trouble telling I'm in the UK, merely from my IP address.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I put my location in the database and it got me right. (kinda makes sense....)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Here's the source* for those interested:
http://blogoscoped.com/where/source.txt

* I had to do this in PHP4 because my server doesn't allow me to access files with PHP5 using the file command (that's pretty bad, actually). Thus, it's untested for PHP5.
The CSS contains the rest and is public anyway of course.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

By the way, as far as I remember the Google Maps API doesn't allow you to search for locations, which is why I had to go for the Iframe approach.

david @ www.davidmsc.com [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yep – worked for me using Firefox – Great Falls, Montana!

matthew [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It got within 30 miles of my house.

Bagle [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It only shows my country, although my IP address is recognized by Hostip.info. Weird...

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

The page is not working here at home on Mac OS 10.3 with Safari 1.3.1(v312.3.1). Just get a big yellow screen with your where are you logo text. Looking at the source it reads: <noscript>JavaScript must be enabled ....., but since I do have scripting enabled I can not see it on the page?

Also from work (Bethesda MD) it only showed me the US map. When I go the hostip site it did not grab the location but guesstimated it as Chapel Hill NC. That location is wrong but the right 1/3 of the country.

Ariel Erlijman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It shows my whole country: Uruguay
Nice Work.
www.belloyreborati.com

Personman [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

Same problem as dpneal. Map was centered around my location (california), but i expect that was default...using FF 1.0.6

Kyle [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

At first, it just showed a map of the USA, and hostip said that they had no idea where i was. So I performed the correction thing, told it my location, and now it displays it correctly.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!