Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail's receiving emails before they're sent

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, March 2, 2008
16 years ago3,263 views

So, obviously that's not real. But Gmail seems to have a bug.

Today is Sunday 2nd March, and I saw an email in my Inbox at 21.30, it wasn't there at about 21:00, so I presumed I had received it while I was away from my computer. But for some reason, Gmail suggested I hadn't received the email yet:
http://image.bayimg.com/iajnbaabb.jpg

I checked the original mail to see why the date was in the future, and the mail headers included:
<<Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:25:19 -0800>>

That's tomorrow, but its still not Tuesday as shown in the email. I looked again:
<<Received: from BAY105-DS1 ([65.54.224.87]) by bay0-omc1-s37.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 13:23:37 -0800>>

Hmm, I didn't receive this email in my Inbox at 13:23. If that's when Gmail received it, why did it take 7 hours for it to appear in my Inbox?

And where did the date shown in the UI come from? Its not in the email, which funnily enough has another date in the future.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

may be this means the time zone Gmail is using is different than the place you are living in, check your account setting.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nah, I'm using English (US), but there is more than 1 timezone in the US, besides which, when I switch to English (UK) i'm given the same time.

My problem is that date Gmail is showing has come from nowhere that I can see, and that Gmail witheld the message from me for 7 hours.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think they have strange timezone conversion issues on occasion, because I've also seen odd behavior with received dates/times. Sometimes I get a message and it displays the time as an hour before. But I've also noticed that sometimes mail can be significantly delayed and when that happens (it's rare), it can be annoying.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

there are some insures that I have noticed with the gmail time/date stamps..

http://peterdawson.blogspot.com/2008/02/gmail-time-stamp-issues.html

this is still in progress...not sure where and what is broken

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!