Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google image labeler update?

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 5, 2008
16 years ago2,620 views

While doing a image search, google image labeler was labeled as "new!". And when I checked it out, it was quite different from a few months ago... although i don't know when they updated it.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

From what I noticed, the last update was in May:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/05/google-image-labeler-is-more-exciting.html

Google always labels old things as new and that's annoying. Maybe they should have a rule: use the "new" label for two weeks or so.

Matthew M [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google Image Labeler leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of images get looked at by making a timed game out of labeling, but the quality of the labels is not served well. Occasionally someone else is trying to be specific but more often they are dumb (entering labels such as <i>man</i> or <i>blue</i>). Sometimes it seems like I am giving someone a free English vocabulary lesson. Rarely do I look back at the labels and think "just what someone looking for an image like this will think."

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i think it was stupid of them to create the image labler when they should just stick with whatever nevenvision had to offer. What ever happened with that anyways?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wish Google gave site owners more control over labelling our own pics/thumbnails. That would make more sense since we would know exactly what each image was about. I guess it would still be ripe for spam abuse though.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Exactly – it would be like meta keywords in HTML pages... people would abuse so it can't be trusted. Even at coverbrowser.com, where people are allowed to tag covers and incentive for abuse is much lower, I'm using a threshold of at least 2 (or so) separate users having used the same tag before I expose it in the tag cloud. (I've also created a game very similar to Google's image labeler game on the site... http://www.coverbrowser.com/tagger)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> I wish Google gave site owners more control over
> labelling our own pics/thumbnails.

Can't you use the "alt" attribute is for that?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger Browne, No the 'alt' tag is used for accessability reasons. Lets say I have a photo on my genealogy site of my great grandfather. I wouldn't want to have an alt tag with all of my meta information because that wouldn't make much sense to a screenreader application.

The idea of meta tags for images would be great. It would help make image search so much more useful I think. Another idea that would be cool would be sitemap files for images on your site. You could put the meta data into the xml file along with links to the image location or what page the image is displayed on.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Speaking of nevenvision, does anyone know what Aegino Ltd. did before google aquired them, and what they're boing used for?

I've tried to find out but theres n info on them.

I originally found out about them here http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-03-03-n37.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!