Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The day Google started to bundle software

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

Friday, November 4, 2005
18 years ago

was Friday 4th November.
Even if you bundle foss among along with a prop app,they're breaking their own policy.
And moreover,Adsense referers will get money each time smb will click on the link.
Is it Google's first mistake?
Who knows Mr Cunningham,who knows? (private joke ;-D)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What did they bundle?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

they're already bundling toolbar + JRE

which policy are they breaking by bundling? if you're talking about this: http://www.google.com/corporate/software_principles.html it doesnt forbid bundling unless the customer doesnt know about it.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I reckon you're right Caleb.It doesn't break Master G's rules and moreover it promotes foss but i think it's a dangerous step.
But i'm not going to criticize Google as they promote more than any search engine foss.
Google hasn't made any huge mistake until now. Sooner or later (The later,the better) they will do one.
And I don't understand very well their policy towards opensource.
For the moment they broadly support it,even when it comes to Linux (several distros and projects such as Gnome and KDE were sponsored during SoC)
On the other hand,their apps are not ported to Linux and they help mainly(AFAIK) cross-platform projects(Gaim,Firefox..)
When i keep hearing about a GoogleOS,i wonder why,if it's not already being developped in secret,they don't have a page up recommanding fos-s or even fos-OSes .
Do they intend replacing Windows piece after piece (Desktop,Search,Imaging,Chatting,OpenOffice,the rest being handled online via Web2.0 apps which mock apps) or make a bold move to advise their customers to switch to Linux?

The question here is :will they keep on using windows,bringing more oss to it (Clamwin and Winpooch as GoogleAntivirus,Gnome or KDE port to Windows as GoogleWindowsTweaks) create a GoogleOs based on Linux or say okay,we think {Debian/Bsd/RedHat or their fave distro,Ubuntu being the one most likely to be google-ish} rocks and here's a link to GoogleOsSwitcher which will move all your Windows Settings and Files to GStorage(or to a partition on your hard-drive) ,will download from Google Servers a distro,will install it from Windows(it IS possible) ,reboot under GoogleOs and get the files back from the Web or from your partition.

Okay that's a bit of fiction,but it was fun to write and if anyone wishes to speculate.. ;-D

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I believe there are two meanings when people talk about "Google OS"; 1, a not-yet released Linux based operating system in its traditional meaning (what you mention, Pierre), and 2, an already half-released, emerging "web OS" in a less traditional meaning.

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google
2: http://www.kottke.org/04/04/google-operating-system

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

FYI, when you install Real Player it asks if you want to install Google Toolbar too...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!