Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Synchronize Google Calendar With Outlook  (View post)

Vlad [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, March 6, 2008
16 years ago10,148 views

:-(I will wait for my MACOSX version

Woland [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

why not google gear for google calendar yet?

Mark M [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

to chime in as a linux/osx user, this app is currently too weak to be useful for me, no multi-platform support, multi-client support, and worst of all, i use 4 google calendars to separate my life's various aspects and reminders (very helpful when birthdays are colored differently to gain visual attention away from 20 meeting appointments surrounding it)...odd google wouldn't consider such a major feature of their web-based client as a necessity before the initial release.

the time it took to release this suggests it's one or two programmers' 20% project, but hopefully this app will see a little more attention to bridge platforms and add features

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

as soon as i saw this i asked myself, "where's the open source code to make my own plug-in for Thunderbird??"

Google Calendar guys, please release the code. Thx. k. bye.

Jerome Paradis [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Well, just tried it with 2 way communication and it duplicated my calendar in outlook and in Google Calendar!
At least it says Beta besides the Calendar logo...
Please fix this as it is unusable. I went to 700 calendar items to 1400!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Jerome, before you had 700 events in Google Calendar and 0 in Outlook or...?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Josue:
Check the API and write your own application:
http://code.google.com/apis/calendar/

These projects could be helpful:
http://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=google+calendar&btn=Search+Projects

16 years ago #

Seems better than I thought. I had a duplicate event because it was initially on both sides and the sync numbers also went from 700 to 1400 from the first to second time. However, it seems to be working well.
Sorry about the mistake.

Good job!

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So, Google is not going to acquire ScheduleWorld.com?

Anyone one can tell whether Google uses SyncML server?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There's now a Google blog post on this: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2008/03/introducing-google-calendar-sync.html

Pascal Alberty [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's working only with your main Google Calendar. Not working if you have multiple calendars ...

I'm still waiting a native iPod Touch (iPhone) – Google Calendar sync mechanism ... It's in first first first place on my wish list!!!!!

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

They need to enhance it some more to let you specify filter criteria on the events you want to sync.

For example, Outlook events can have categories. This tool should be able to filter on categories.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Of course it doesn't work with multiple calendars: Google doesn't want to make exporting easy for the early adopters, but importing. ;-)

More strange is that it works with Outlook 2003 and 2007 only. And I (and probably others) don't want to give additional $200 for a new version of software I don't really use, just to have a local copy of my Google calendars.

Simon [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've been waiting for this for a long time and eagerly installed the
client. But I've had the same problem as many on the Google Calendar Group have reported – the synchronisation aborts, crashes Outlook and leaves no error message. I'm using Outlook 2003 on XP and Firefox 2.0.0.12. It looks like they have some work to do yet.

Matt [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I had high hopes for this. There's a gCal Sync app for the Blackberry calendar, too, and that's the only calendar in my life that means anything. :) I thought I'd be able to sync my Outlook at work (no BES- it's my personal BB) with gCal and then to my Blackberry. Roundabout, but useful.

No dice, though. This app does nothing. No syncing, no new events in my Google Calendar. Looks like Google's pulling a Microsoft. More and more I see cools apps "released" with so many bugs or questionable functionality that it's just not worth the effort. C'Mon Google- you can do *much* better than this.

Steve [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Another option that may work for some of you is Plaxo. Their toolbar is installed as an Outlook add-in, that can do a 2-way sync between Outlook and Plaxo's site. Then, Plaxo online is automatically synchronized with Google Calendar. I realize it requires Plaxo as the middleman, but it works very well, and you can separate your Google calendar from your default Outlook calendar, using a different folder. And you can even sync with multiple Google accounts (although it only syncs with your primary Google calendar, not any secondary calendars). If you have Outlook 2007, you can then have multiple calendars, and overlay them on top of one another, each with different colors.
I've been waiting for Google to release their own tool for this, which is why I started with Plaxo in the first place (I only use Plaxo for syncing with Google. Not any of their social "Pulse" junk.) But right now, Plaxo still has Google beat at their own game.

Eric [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I've also been waiting and I'm thrilled it is finally here!
It seems to sync very well with google calendar since now I can see my google calendar events in outlook. However, I can't see my outlook events in google calendar.
I'm using Outlook 2003 sp3 and I usually check my google calendar with Firefox.

Clems [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

From what I understood, it only sync the events you created in Outlook :
Sync added meetings I created to G agenda, but invites which where sent by other people, accepted or not where not synced in G agenda.

16 years ago #

Me neither.
One past event I had create with Google Calendar was synced in Outook but I created a new event in gCal last night, for which I invited someone and behold: it didn't sync.
So Google Sync for BB doesn't work correctly for me and neither does Google Calendar Sync. I wanted to sync to Outlook to sync my BB. And I'm using only a primary gCal, I don't event have secondary calendars.
When will you get your act right?

Loughlan Burnett [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Installed it yesterday on my laptop with Office 2007 on vista home basic.

It makes baby outlook cry.
Outlook crashes every time i sync.

Jeremy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Waiting for it to work with my sub calenders. What kind of idiots only make it work with just you main calender.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!