Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Filters

Stefan G. [PersonRank 1]

Monday, March 10, 2008
16 years ago2,989 views

Hello,

i get some Emails from Another Account that are marked as Spam by the text "***SPAM***" in the subject.
I just tried to add a filter in my Gmail Account to delete these Messages (since the Gmail Spam-Filter doesn't seem to catch them).
But Gmail doesn't seem to care about the * and filters every message with "Spam" in the subject (which is not what i want).
Do you guys have any idea if it is possible to filter messages in gmail according to an exact text match?

Stefan

P.S. sorry if this is the wrong kind of question for this forum, i hope its not.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Filters use the same syntax as searches. And this is what Google says about those:

<< Gmail doesn't recognize special search characters like square brackets, parentheses, currency symbols, the ampersand, the pound sign, and asterisks. It also doesn't recognize partial or similar matches, so a search for travel will find travel, but not travels, traveler, or travle. >>

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6593

So it doesn't look like you'll be able to create a filter to do this.

Stefan G. [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Thank you Tony.
Ironically one of my Filters uses the search for "и" (russian character, i hope this comes through) to sort out russian spam.
Maybe I should change my Spamfilter to mark the messages with that letter instead of the ***SPAM** pattern.

Stefan

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If you can change your spam filter to append anything to the subject, you could use any set of random characters which would be unlikely to appear in a genuine email. Something as simple as "xxx SPAM xxx" would do the trick if you wanted to keep it meaningful though.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!