Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Tools Google Uses Internally  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 12, 2008
16 years ago15,269 views

Very cool, but it's much more interesting to see the photos from this PDF:

http://www.beussery.com/innovationatgoogle.pdf
(view online:
http://issuu.com/ialc/docs/innovation___google__kmworld_webinar_?mode=embed&documentId=080312113223-aa1c560259e24ac892c4e1cfa3f0c12d
http://www.scribd.com/full/2263947?access_key=key-1x6vmvv1rya3xygdhfju)

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What's that yellow bubble at the end of the toolbar on the second Google Docs screenshot?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Comments?

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Link to blogspot at the end of "moma" section is broken

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Rohit, can you explain what happens when you click it? (It works here...)

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

text "screenshot" links to http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-can-you-take-your-enterprise-search.html
which is a blank page for me

The URL seems correct and there isn't any error also
But the page is blank with no text at all.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great post Philipp and thanks for the "props"! Either way, really interesting stuff and hopefully they will post the archived webcast later today. When they do, I'd encourage everyone to check it out. It's an hour or so long but well worth the time in my opinion.

Vinny [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Google Project looks interesting – I'd probably use it if they rolled it out.

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Can't believe this cat got out like this..

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I want some dog food.

john [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Caribou was the internal name for Gmail that all Googlers use.

Warren Noronha [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I happened to see a couple of these while I was at the Google office. I was head over heals in love with the new Google Docs (writley) interface. Alas I was at least lucky enough to see the new toolbar before it was released to the public

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Gmail#Internal_development :

>>It was hosted under the code name Caribou, a reference to a Dilbert >>comic strip about Project Caribou.

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp, you can also add Cricket to your list.

It is the name of the Googlers' version of Google Talk that may call landlines (some screenshoots are availables)

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks Ionut Alex for the "leak document". While developers should eat their own dog food, apparently Google developers have better dog food.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just fyi this isn't a leaked document, the webcast encouraged sharing and provided the pdf.

Sigur [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I have to say that this is not very impressive. Maybe it is interesting if you look at them building all of their web properties from scratch and not taking advantage of any off the shelf software. I'm sure that there is quite a bit more that we are not seeing, but all of the screenshots look like toys. Most enterprise organizations with 16K employees run on professional grade tools. I wonder if this has held them back or if their lack of features/abilities is just good enough?

mambe nanje churchill [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Sigur, I think your jealous or something. If you have forgotten the company using those tools was named the best place to work for in 2007/2008, and to me those tools are the best and I dont think any other company will have better enterprise technologies with enough collaboration and web 2.0 features as the tools I have seen above, man you shouldnt hate those guys cos their making money but rather admire their technology power, they are web king and no one can do enterprise Web than they do as of now.

Sadanand [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Really nice info

kael [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Visiting Google seems like entering Disneyland.

PR 2.0 is really efficient, indeed.

Jack Vinson [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

the resource allocation idea also comes with percentages: 70% on standard stuff, 20 on new, and 10 on the "out there" items.

Diego Francio [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very nice post. Interesting to know how a giant works internally

Mark Pearl [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Thanks for the summary, enjoyable posting

Arnshea [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Sigur doesn't get it. Google truly gets the web (interconnectedness) and search (locating connections).

Everything worthy of linking is linked to something else. Searches (e.g., expert search) leading to results that improve your ability to search and, ultimately, find what you are looking for.

The "professional grade" tools that you're talking about were once toys.

Big companies don't often lack for talent. What they often do lack is the ability to get the right people to work on a problem. A big part of that problem is not knowing what talent is available. Another part is locating that talent and putting it to use.

A small company doesn't have this problem to the same extent as a large company because their "talent network" is fully connected (everyone is within earshot).

Google's MOMA really raises the bar – it'll set the intranet standard for the 21st century.

Alex [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'll start using Google Docs when (if) Google roll out the version they use to the public. The only feature that is stopping me is that you can't view your document in page layout ('paper-in-the-middle layout'). It's nice to see they have designed it.

lmjabreu [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Pau Tomàs

Probably an icon for annotations.

Can't wait to eat this googler dog food.(gdocs)

I say they should allow us to choose to use pre-release versions of their apps, sort of like the GApps option "Turn on new application features to my domain before they are rolled out to all Google Apps customers.".

Dean Eckles [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Professional grade enterprise tools are generally pretty terrible by many measures: they often just make a giant mess that is inflexible, unusable, and not well integrated. The consumerization of enterprise IT is a big trend right now, and I think there is a lot to learn from participatory media that presents new opportunities in business. My best experiences (at Internet and mobile giants) with intranet systems and tools have been with stuff hacked together by the employees of the company itself, often inspired by consumer-oriented products.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

For scalability, nothing beats small applications doing each their thing, and being able to talk to one another via open standards. Several enterprise tools locks users into using software only in the same suite, compromising free choice and the ability to produce small apps capable of solving company-specific tasks.

The UNIX way(tm), all the way.

GT Staff [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Though I got from another Blogscoped article that MOMA stands for:

Message Oriented Middleware Application,

I just wonder if MOMA was a quirky adaptation of "Momma," knowing Google's penchant for pranks.

I think that it's a cool, way better alternative to Outlook, surely!

[Signature URL removed – Tony]

polarsoftware.com [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Link to PDF is broken.... I found on Scribd innovationatgoogle.pdf document at :
http://www.scribd.com/word/download/2263947?extension=pdf
on
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2263947/innovationatgoogle

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!