The day I started GMail

Vitorino [PersonRank 1]

Friday, March 14, 2008
16 years ago5,873 views

http://vitorino.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/gmail_inv.jpg

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was a relative late-comer the Gmail.

My account was opened on Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:47 AM.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

1st date of Gmail = 9/24/2004

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Gmail User since 1/25/2007

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is there anyplace to look up the join date? (Other than perhaps trying to find the first email, which may be deleted already...)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I actually the invite email would be in a another account. I just took my olderest email available

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp
Even I looked for that but seems like I have deleted the invitation and welcome mail.

The first mail from my friend was on Sun, Jul 4, 2004 at 10:12 AM

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

7th Sept 2004

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Did anyone buy an invite? (I didn't btw)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My "Welcome" email is dated 21 April 2004.

Google Answers Researchers were sent a Gmail invitation as a "birthday present" on the 2nd birthday of Google Answers. (On the first birthday, we received a Google blanket.)

I think we may have been the first outsiders to be invited into Gmail.

There was a Gmail invite swap site, http://gmailswap.com/ where I swapped some Gmail invites. One guy sent me a custom-designed graphic artwork of a diesel engine with my business name on it. A lady artist sent me a pencil-sketched nude self-portrait. A guy in Iceland gave me some overnight accommodation in Iceland, but I was unable to use this at the time it was offered. A guy in the USA offered me a road trip across the USA (he is a trucker), and that offer is still open if ever I find a way to take it up. People were really keen to get their hands on Gmail back then.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 2:31 AM

I had been searching for an invite since gmail came out. I've never deleted a single email or anything since i created my account.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think I bought my first invite.

I got some pretty cool ones though way back then.

like thisisjunk[put at-character here]gmail.com (perfect for junk mail) :)

Jens Minor [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

My first Mail is from 5th September 2005.

Jens Minor [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Oh sorry, I mean 2004!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I used to POP and delete my mail at one point so I don't know :(
The earliest remaining on my account is a chat on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 at 12:05 PM

I think I got mine around Oct/Nov 2004 but I'm not sure (Not bought)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My oldest mail is from 9th September 2004, but I had it a few months before then.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wait wait wait!!! 100mb=1gb according to that...does this end our fight, even though I was vouching for the other side?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I didn't join till 4/8/06!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] James
1. you missed a 0
2. XKCD's take on this http://xkcd.com/394/

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think my story is unique with gmail.
As i believed in google for its philosophy. for the smart, professional and open minded people working on this revolutionary project.
and because Google was a word with value for me i was waiting any new from Google and anything that came from Google was exactly what i am hoping or better.
When Gmail started only USian people was able to join it because the invitation was given by SMS. so you at least must have a good friend in the usa to get an invitation which were limited.
what i did is simply to email some people and simply explain them situation using my yahoo mail account. but no one answered me. then i created a small scenario where i played the role of a young lady. a young pretty lady looking for an invitation and soon i received 3 invitations.
Now i am using only gmail.
When i remember now i regret that i deleted my first gmail account. i created my current account in 2006 when i completely switched from yahoo to a new gmail account.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I clearly remember having first *heard* about Gmail though. It was the morning of April 1st 2004 (I think?!) and I was sitting in the train to work, checking some feeds on my mobile phone. One item said something like Gmail with 1 GB and I was completely shocked. Then a minute or so later I realized... oh dang, it's April Fool's day, of course this is a joke! I laughed, and didn't really think about it until I started working that day. That's when I checked up on more news and realized it is not a joke... well played by Google, that one.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

September 26, 2003.

My welcome email was sent at 9:53pm, March 31, 2004.

BrianS [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

I always thought it would be neat if there was a site where you could see a "family tree" of Gmail. Basically showing who invited who starting as far back as possible. I still have all the emails telling me who accepted the invitations from me. Maybe this would be a good side project to work on.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sometime in July, 04, got the invitation from a friend's friend's friend.

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 9:03 AM

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 1:23 AM

(Sorry I'm a little late here. it's been crazy at work. Trying to catch up on some old feeds. :))

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

5/7/2004

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

My welcome mail is from Sun, Oct 3, 2004 at 9:24 PM.
Wow! 3 years and 165 days with GMail.

Luke [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

mine is June 6th 2004

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

13/08/2004

sq89 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

16 July 2004. Got it through Gmail Swap:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_05_19_index.html#108498975597144616
I actually built a whole PHP/MySQL website with a friend, in exchange for two invites from someone who we didn't know. And still I didn't choose a shorter account name, that was available back then...

Piotr Zgodzinski [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

I found my invite message:

"Piotr, Philipp Lenssen has invited you to open a Google mail account. "

Thu Jun 17, 2004

Thanks again, Philipp

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

After Four years why is Gmail still in beta?!!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!