Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Anyone Tried Out Searchme.com?

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
16 years ago2,534 views

Lately, I got an invitation to try out the private beta Searchme.com is running. The selling point of this new search engine start up is that it uses 'Cover Flow' (in iTunes and now iPods) to visualize the search results. I personally find the idea pretty cool. Although the results might not be relevant and it takes up a lot of bandwidth .. I wonder if Google would be interested in testing this out in Searchmash ... ;)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The idea seems cool but I don't think I would like it. For example, some sites have lots of flash ads, If I load the first 10 results for a search and all 10 of those pages have flash ads, my browser would probably be brought to its knees just trying to load all of the ads and content. No thanks! I'll wait till I have fiber to the street or something faster at home.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They said in the demo vid that, "... so that you don't have to click back and forth to see how the web page look like" – how ironic. One would probably spend more time clicking through those thumbnails than finding the right page on a decent search engine.

<< Tonight at 11, tech-heavy Nasdaq dropped over 800 points. Dot-com bubble 2.0? >>

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well, if it is fast enough I will probably really love it, however I am not entirely sure wether I like the coverflow idea, although I don't have any good other ideas. Well none the less I hope I will get an invite really soon.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Interesting connection with google:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9890911-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

"Visual search engine Searchme has raised $31 million from early Google backer Sequoia Capital and other investors, according to the company."

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!