Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google logo on iGoogle showing some wear..

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
16 years ago2,326 views

Any idea why the yellow O looks like its got bits of extra red color, and where that extra line comes from? I tried to change the theme, but it won't accept a new one...it just stays 'classic.'
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/brinkeguthrie/Untitled-18.jpg

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Doesn't look like that for me in Firefox.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's weird. The red dot may be some JPEG aberration? But the black thing over the O and the line at the end are mysterious.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This could be caused by a proxy or something. I remember years ago seeing AOL compressing all images on their proxy to save on bandwidth.

Are you using any proxies Brinke?

16 years ago #

I have 11 tabs...the O looks like that on all of them..but that black line on only a few. And i'll admit- what's a proxy? BTW these are being viewed in IE7.

16 years ago #

Looked in FF2....shows almost the same- no black line, tho. Anywhere. But the red degradation of the logo looks the same.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

the red dot in the yellow "o" is an ordinary degradation due to compression, the logo is too small.
here is the original used image:

http://www.google.com/ig/images/sprite_arrow_enlarge_max_min_shrink_x_blue.gif

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ah... it's the same on mine! I guess I should've checked my iGoogle page first!

So, it looks like they're using CSS sprites now and haven't optimized their color palettes properly. And they're using GIFs again instead of PNGs.

Terrible.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!