Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's AJAX Translation API  (View post)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 20, 2008
16 years ago6,671 views

http://www.google.com/uds/samples/language/detect.html
I just tried that. I can't find any common French word which is reliable :-/

Brock [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm looking forward to the day where Gmail and Google Talk automatically translate text you receive (in a chat or email) into your default language. Naturally the multi-lingual would want to be able to turn this off for languages they know, but for any language you don't know that would be pretty cool.

"Yo, check it out, I'm chatting with some Chinese dude and ..."

scio [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] TOMHTML
Use more than 1 word, reliability improves with composition and such.

ex)
Hola
SPANISH (not reliable : 0.09097684)

Hola, me llamo Scio
SPANISH (reliable : 0.047753472)

Hola, me llamo Scio y me gusta el queso
SPANISH (reliable : 0.47355956)

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Reliability parameter make no sense here.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]scio : Thank you scio. OK I understand now, it just usual statistics in fact (Chi-2 and so on).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google's statistical translation appears to be quite case-sensitive.

If you translate "pick a card, any card" into Spanish you get:
Recoger una tarjeta, cualquier tarjeta
But if you translate "Pick a card, any card" into Spanish you get:
Elija una tarjeta, cualquier tarjeta

Translate "pick a card, any card" into French:
Choisir une carte, une carte
Translate "Pick a card, any card" into French:
Prenez une carte, une carte

Translate "pick a card, any card" into German:
Pick eine Karte, jede Karte
Translate "Pick a card, any card" into German:
Wählen Sie eine Karte, jede Karte

Translate "pick a card, any card" into Italian:
Scegliere una carta, qualsiasi carta
Translate "Pick a card, any card" into Italian:
Scegli una carta, qualsiasi carta

etc (although some, like Dutch and Japanese, are the same for upper and lower case).

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've translated the first paragraph of the post in French and I'm amazed by the quality of the result. The expression "the Google ****" fails as the translator doesn't understand that it's about "the ***** of Google". But the overall result is very good.

I should start to surf the German, Spanish, Chinese (...) web with such a tool! And I bet that in few years I won't really realize the initial language of my sources. It's time to read The Medium is the Message, by Marshall McLuhan (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_global)

Barnaby Capel-Dunn [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Thanks for the information Tony.
On a related note, how do you rate Google Translate compared to the other (free) MT systems around? My own subjective opinion is that, ever since it struck on its own, Google Translate is actually quite a bit better than the competition. My language pair is French > English.
Would be very interested to have your expert opinion on this.
Best
Barnaby

Tom Flôrcé [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

exciting tool,

the translation business seems to wake up – just saw this on tolingo.com

dave [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Wrote a script to translate arbitrary html elements. Putting this in a Greasemonkey script is going to be so cool.

Mark S. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Just read this too:
http://www.minimalmedia.com/blog/dave/the-google-ajax-language-api-is-going-to-be-a-big-deal

Thomas Sturm [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

We've been using a ugly hack to have stories on www.mapskip.com translated with a frameset that calls Google Translate, and this new API could not have come at a better time.

I spent last weekend rebuilding the story pages on the MapSkip site to allow for beautiful inline-translation of the stories with this new Google API. Not only do we finally have seamless translation, but it also auto-detects the source language, which is really cool since it's not always obvious to some users what language they are actually looking at.

As far as the size limit is concerned, I split the source text into paragraphs and hope that for the most part the paragraphs stay under the limit when I submit them separately. The size limit seems to be roughly 1400 characters.

[HTML formatting removed – Tony]

googlepro [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

anyone know why google translation now not working ? try to click example from this post and not working.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!