hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 28, 2008
16 years ago6,957 views

similar to the korean one

http://www.google.cn/webhp?hl=zh-CN

via http://www.zorgloob.com/2008/03/nouvelle-interface-pour-google-chine.asp

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I can see this on http://www.google.cn/webhp?hl=zh-CN but not http://www.google.cn. Does anyone know which is the new default design for Chinese users?

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Added a video just for reference.
http://blogoscoped.com/videos/googlechina2008.wmv

Orz86 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

May be Google want to find a new Google Chinese homepage for Chinese。

John [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Totally YES.
I am live in China.
I found it changed yesterday (March 28th). Chinese homepage is google.cn
Its auto transform google.com to google.cn for a long time.
GOOGLE added 7 colorful points under the searchbar ,includ "视频,图片,资讯,地图,博客搜索,热榜 and 网站导航". Means "Video, picture , news , map , blog search , Popular Board (like music movie game etc) , and navigate (just bring some website link together and sort)
Interesting is when you move you mouse on each point , it will flash to a icon of the subfunction . Like you move you mouse on 视频(video) , it flash to a disc ; on 资讯(news) , it flash to a newspaper . Some like that .
Anyway I don't like the new homepage.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

total yes

Philippe Semanaz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Strange, why no link to Gmail?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And this (old) one ? ;) http://www.google.cn/hp?sp=china

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Strange, why no link to Gmail?

Because GMail is officially unavailable in China. Censoring that would be a slightly bigger problem. ;-)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just as there is no link to Youtube ;-)

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]philipp lensson
Yes, I like simple google, if add someting, Gmail should be first.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Not matter how hard to change the UI, crippled Google can not make gain against its handicapped Baidu and Sohu which are backed by the "communist" PRC government.

The reason I put the quote on those "communist", is because they are not really communist, and they hate communities and communication.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i liked google china redesign more than google japan.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Andy Wong

I stay in Google Chinese Service only because Gmail.

For advertisement value, in fact, politics information useless.

Baidu more useful for business for Chinese people. Baidu copied Google, but more simple, more fit for Chinese people. Alibaba Chinese version and Taobao also useful, only a little complex.

For Chinese people who sell to USA, Canada, Germany, ect. Alibaba English Version more useful for Chinese people. Google English Version have many complex english, so, it is not fit for Chinese people.

Alibaba English Version full of kids English messages, that enough for business and fit Chinese people.

For Chinese people who use Japanese, they trust Yahoo Japan. And, Japanese people can read Chinese Language.

So, Google.cn still not find its right market position. Politics only give us dream, but others can give us real life, real money.

I think, for Google.cn, first of all, should translate full Google website to Chinese on time. I found many API documents still in english.

Google.cn can not do the basic job, how about the advaced?

16 years ago #

Xiaowan

The problem is, the filter/firewall against "sensitive political messages" is not smart enough, because this filter/firewall frequently block business and technical information. This really hurt the businesses of all parties.

This is also the key difference between the censorships in PR China and Germany. The censorship in Germany won't hurt businesses.

16 years ago #

With current strategy and policy of Google dealing with PR China, changes to GUI are just eyes candy.

Even if Google introduces other services to PR China market, Baidu and Sohu may simply copy. And users in the mainland China may love these services, but may have to give up, because the communist government had its hands on Google's throat. For reliability, they will choose the local copy cats of Google. It is not rare that the PR China government blocked a Google service without admitting the action (Ruling party acted like underground mafia), even the Google service comply with the unclear censorship "laws".

16 years ago #

Germany become a 2nd anti-china country? How do you know we can not visit Google? Or Google.cn?

Why China block Google Service, Google also submit huge tax to China. Google.cn is a China company at law.

Baidu copy Google Web search, but baidu did better job. Also, Sohu copy Google Image search, also did better job...

Also, Google.cn also copy IME from Sohu, but now, its quality is the 3rd. 1st is Sohu, 2nd is QQ, then Google.cn. Daohang and rebang only existed for news.

For users, they did not care who invent a service, they only select best one.

Don't lie, failure only because censorship? We waiting Google.cn do the real jobs.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Isn't it a fact that Google in China was for a period redirected to Baidu without explanation?

Not the best way to assure Google China users that Google China will always be available...

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Where is the "report to authorities" button?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!